An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns In The Mountains!

ProudlyCatholicCellist

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I was out there in February. It is a beautiful place. No, they don't raise sheep anymore. It is a beautiful community. The monastery is not built on traditional lines but really fits the area. It is a very simple monastery. I love the big fireplace that divides the refectory from the community room!

Wow. That is a really gorgeous setting and building. Anyone know anything about their community? I see there are two in formation. Are they young-ish? Is it an aging house? Do they accept older women?

ProudlyCatholicCellist

I think the ones in formation have taken their vows recently..... not sure about age limits either way; they didn't have a 'vocations' page on their site :P

Maybe that means they'll take any age :) I hope!

Wow. That is a really gorgeous setting and building. Anyone know anything about their community? I see there are two in formation. Are they young-ish? Is it an aging house? Do they accept older women?

This is a newly founded monastery of the OP Order of nuns. You can read their "adventure" here I don't know them personally but I can tell that they are very well valued at every level in the area. They are not and "aging community" but a community of mature and very competent and capable women who came from several monasteries of the Order and even there is one of the nuns who was formerly and active Dominican Sister and made the novitiate and everything to become a nun. Thus they've had at least two professions -and a death, in the short time they've been around. Also, their retreat house is booked for months in advance. 

You will need to contact them for more details.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

They are a vibrant community with an emphasis on simplicity, silence and fraternal life. Because they are nuns from several different monasteries they had to work hard becoming a community. The monastery is surrounded by mountains. Their monastery is still a "work in progress" and they don't have enclosure the way it is regularly understood by the US monasteries.Their liturgy is simple but beautiful.
I have a group of photos on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nunsopsummit/sets/72157632778878871/

Sr. Marie Tersidis is the novice mistress. I don't know about age limits. You'd have to ask them.

Every time I read this thread title, I think of the Charlie Daniels band singing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," with the chorus: "Fire on the mountain, run, boys, run; Devil's in the house of the rising sun; Chicken in the bread pan pecking out dough; Granny does you dog bite? No, child, no."

Now those are all old fiddle tunes, but the first one could easily be paraphrased to - "Nuns in the mountains,! Run, boys, run!" 

But, of course, these aren't classic teaching nuns who rap knuckles with rulers, pull boys around by their ear lobes, or administer grammar tests, so there'd be no real need to run from them.