An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey..

AugustineA

ToJesusMyHeart

Seminarians and priests don't suddenly lose their sexuality when they enter religious life. It's normal to still find women attractive as a priest/religious. 

In fact, there would be red flags if you suddenly became asexual and didn't find women attractive. Big difference between acknowledging beauty and lusting after them! 

Sorry guys, I'm doing an omnibus post.

It's never too late to consider becoming a Dominican. 

lol, I know you're being positive, but there is some age limit isn't there, usually? 

Just FYI the Dominicans of the Central Province allow men with bachelor's degrees to have up to $25,000 in student loan debt and still enter. The limit for holding a master's degree is $30,000. Plus they take men well into their 30s....

Therefore I find your reasons for why you couldn't be called null and void. :P

That's pretty incredible. How do they repay their loans? I know alot of people in religious life work at various institutions, but for some reason I thought they weren't paid. I guess I've been called out huh, lol.

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I repeat:  http://labouresociety.org/  The only reason for existence for LS is to resolve the student loan debt of candidates for the priesthood and RL (and they have just been allied to the USCCB so they're stepping up operations in a big way).   Thanks to LS and other such organizations, "Debt" has effectively been removed from the official list of  "Reasons Why I Cannot Try My Vocation" (or its subsidiary, "Reasons Why I Cannot Try My Vocation - Yet". :P  !

Woa! One of their aspirants was $190,000 in debt! That sure makes me feel better about my student loans haha. This program is fantastic... So are you discerning right now? 

Seminarians and priests don't suddenly lose their sexuality when they enter religious life. It's normal to still find women attractive as a priest/religious. 

In fact, there would be red flags if you suddenly became asexual and didn't find women attractive. Big difference between acknowledging beauty and lusting after them! 

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of it like that, but it's a good thing to have red-blooded priests doing their job. I think we really ought to look after our priests. I can see how it would get lonely being a priest, always running around helping people but not having close contacts. 

Or you could, you know, be a dad. That also rocks.

Dude, I am totally not cut out to be a dad haha. Dad-hood is way out of ma league.  :saint2:

Dude, I am totally not cut out to be a dad haha. Dad-hood is way out of ma league.  :saint2:

I used to think that too. My personal reasons did fall apart over time, and I got some very good positive reasons to actively pursue it. Why do you think it's out of your league?

"lol, I know you're being positive, but there is some age limit isn't there, usually?"

First of all, you don't say how old you are, how much debt you're carrying, or what your field of expertise is. So we've got not a lot to go on. But that's okay, because none of us here are vocation directors. I do know you're in Canada. 

Here's a link to the Canadian province's requirements for admission to the novitiate. They take guys up to 40 - and even older under certain conditions. http://www.dominicans.ca/Vocations/conditions.html