An Old School Catholic Message Board

Admissions Process For Women's Orders?

NotreDame

Hi,  I'm a guy who has some female friends looking into a vocation and I had a question about the admissions process.  I know for a guy the process can usually be (for good reasons) quite extensive.  The diocese of Arlington outlines many steps that must take place before entrance and admission to orders is often even more stringent.

At a basic level diocese require the following:

http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/vocations/voc_priesthood.aspx

• Completed Diocese of Arlington Priestly Formation Application Form, including two passport type photos.
  • Contact information for requested letters of recommendation.
  • Two copies of requested personal sacramental records and parents’ marriage records.
  • Two copies of high school and, if applicable, undergraduate/graduate college official transcripts.
  • Recent physical examination with completed patient/physician’s form provided by the diocese.
  • Psychological evaluation report. (Paid for by the diocese)
  • An F.B.I./fingerprinting and state(s) sex offender and criminal history background checks. (Paid for by the diocese)
  • Completed Confidential Release Form.
  • Completed Policy Questionnaire regarding the Diocese of Arlington Policy on the Protection of Children/Young People and Prevention of Sexual Misconduct and/or Child Abuse, as well as a completed Acknowledgement of Receipt Form found on the last page of the policy.
  • A (4-10) page written autobiography.
  • Two (2-4) page written essays.

My questions are:  

Do women's orders require the same level of information?  Do they give pyschological evaluations, background checks, and get references prior to entering? 

Also, if someone is a convert, how long are they usually made to wait before entering?  Eg.  two years after RCIA?

The general answer for women's communities is, it varies. The paperwork side of things (baptismal confirmation records, school transcripts, health check ups) is pretty standard. Letters of reference and psych evals are also pretty much standard. 

About the convert question two years is typically minimum for most communities (though certain communities may ask for more time). The community wants any potential candidate to have a mature faith, and that doesn't happen overnight. It will vary from person to person, some people may be mature enough after 2 years and some may need more time.

As a convert of just over two years myself it feels about the right amount of time to really grow and have many experiences of consolation and desolation. I have worked in RCIA after coming into the Church and I often see right around the one year mark people start having difficulties with their faith life and particularly prayer. This can be extremely difficult and if one were to add starting formation in a religious community on top of this it may seem impossible and certainly no good vocational discernment can occur.

Rosa immaculata

Yes the answer will be different from one community to another. For instance in France, a certain number of communities don't ask a real autobiography, several essays or psychological exam. I was very surprised when I saw it is almost a norm in the USA :) I just know for some cloistered communities but these are very careful nevertheless ... the best is not to be worried and to ask to the communities that attract your friends.

The paperwork side of things (baptismal confirmation records, school transcripts, health check ups) is pretty standard. Letters of reference and psych evals are also pretty much standard.

So even with the wide range of female communities, these items are still sort of the norm prior to admission?   That sounds prudent. 

Regarding the pysch eval, anyone have any experience with what they look for?   Will candidates with some past issues (abuse, depression, medications) be screened out and/or encouraged to take more time?

the best is not to be worried and to ask to the communities that attract your friends.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm writing this because I have some concerns about my friends.  I'd find it strange if a community just let anybody in.  If that were the case and if it was attracting people because they couldn't get in elsewhere then it would worry me. 

So even with the wide range of female communities, these items are still sort of the norm prior to admission?   That sounds prudent. 

Regarding the pysch eval, anyone have any experience with what they look for?   Will candidates with some past issues (abuse, depression, medications) be screened out and/or encouraged to take more time?

If it wasn't obvious, I'm writing this because I have some concerns about my friends.  I'd find it strange if a community just let anybody in.  If that were the case and if it was attracting people because they couldn't get in elsewhere then it would worry me. 

just fyi I use the term "communitiies" in this post as a generic; I know that religious life exists in orders, instututes, congregations etc ... but community is my short hand way of referring to them all.

So -- it really does vary. In my own case I don't remember being asked for school transcripts. Most likely because my community did not typically send people for degrees. I don't remember being asked for a baptismal record either, although that may be faulty memory on my part. I got a fairly typical physical exam but no psychological assesement --- although my understanding is after I left they started insisting on applicants getting one (ummmm .... awwwwkward!)

I know some communities do not ask for a psychological report because they have found that people with significant problems are nevertheless able to pass these tests; they are expensive and the community does not see as much value in them. Most communities do ask for them though - that is my impression. Most communities do screen out people with long histories/active presentation of psychopathology and many do a more thorough screening of people with multiple risk factors. There is a small (but in my estimation, growing) minority that accept people who are receiving succesful, ongoing mental heath treatment.

Edited by Lilllabettt

AccountDeleted

As the others have said, it all depends on the community. I have never been asked to do a psych test (maybe I should have  :) ). The usual for me have been Baptism, Confirmation, medical checkup and references.

TheLordsSouljah

Wait, so according to that list, if you couldn't give your parents marriage certificate for whatever reason then you wouldn't be accepted????? how does that work... :think:

AccountDeleted

Wait, so according to that list, if you couldn't give your parents marriage certificate for whatever reason then you wouldn't be accepted????? how does that work... :think:

I was never asked for my parent's marriage certificate. I don't think legitimacy is an issue these days.

TheLordsSouljah

I was never asked for my parent's marriage certificate. I don't think legitimacy is an issue these days.

Oh, phew, thanks for that! :)

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

Just a few remarks to add to the good responses so far.

Most communities WILL ask for the Baptismal and Confirmation certificates. This is a requirement of Canon Law, I believe. It's proof that you are actually a Catholic.... No "imposters" allowed, like Whoopi Goldberg. :hehe2:

Most in USA ask for psych and physical evaluations. Our communities has fluctuated on its opinion about the psych exam. We found someone 2 hours away and have the candidate go during her postulancy. Generally, you just pick up problems simply living together. But that added advantage of a professional is to explain the issue, and be available if the candidate needs to talk to someone in the future.

We do not require educational transcripts, because (as someone mentioned) we don't go on for further study. However, active communities might. We also do not require FBI, child-abuse, essays, etc. But, again, these would be important for active communities where a person would be interacting with the public in ministry.

Personal references are always asked, but from my perspective they really aren't very helpful.

Blessings,

Sr. Mary Jeremiah, OP

AccountDeleted

Just a few remarks to add to the good responses so far.

Most communities WILL ask for the Baptismal and Confirmation certificates. This is a requirement of Canon Law, I believe. It's proof that you are actually a Catholic.... No "imposters" allowed, like Whoopi Goldberg. :hehe2:

Most in USA ask for psych and physical evaluations. Our communities has fluctuated on its opinion about the psych exam. We found someone 2 hours away and have the candidate go during her postulancy. Generally, you just pick up problems simply living together. But that added advantage of a professional is to explain the issue, and be available if the candidate needs to talk to someone in the future.

We do not require educational transcripts, because (as someone mentioned) we don't go on for further study. However, active communities might. We also do not require FBI, child-abuse, essays, etc. But, again, these would be important for active communities where a person would be interacting with the public in ministry.

Personal references are always asked, but from my perspective they really aren't very helpful.

Blessings,

Sr. Mary Jeremiah, OP

Yes, I forgot that at one convent I had to undergo a police check because they had an elderly sister there and anyone caring for the elderly has to have a check. In Australia we also have something called a Working with Children card that I assume active communities who care for kids would have to ask for.

I have never been asked for transcripts either because I was in a cloister with no further study.

The references that I was asked for were from priests, like a spiritual director or parish priest etc.

In the UK anyone working with someone 'vulnerable' - this means children or a vulnerable adult, has to have something called a DRS check. Disclosure and Barring Service.

It is a check to see if the person has ever been known to the police for reasons of child or vulnerable adult safety.

Some communities here ask for psyche eval, some do not. All ask for the requirements of Canon Law, birth certificate is often asked for as it is a standard way we check ID.

In my experience, I have applied to two communities 3 years apart.  One asked for the psych exam (the last one) and one did not.  The reason the last one asked is because they are a European community and have very little experience with American postulants.  There have only been 2 to date (I would have been the 2nd if I was admitted for formation).  The psych exam was done by the psychologist who performs the exams for the incoming seminary applications in my diocese.  I believe he also performs exams for diaconate candidates.  As a result, I was his "guinea pig" as he had never given an exam to a woman before.  In the end, I was denied admission on the basis of my health care needs because the community thought I needed more health care than they could provide.  Since they are a European community, they don't quite understand health care in the USA.

I honestly do not like psych exams.  They don't allow the community to look at the whole person.  I would never take another one again because of how mentally exhausting the whole process was.  If I was a VD in a community, I don't think I'd utilize psych exams as the admission basis to candidacy.  I think it is much better for the candidate to come for routine visits and interviews instead because they get to see you as you are and not what some paper says.  I'd only use the exam as a way to understand the person's individual weaknesses and strengths so you know what to expect in formation.

But, like I have stated before, I hold nothing against the community.  I honestly don't think I was called there because I started to have second thoughts about missionary work (which they do) and I don't think I could handle it.  I'm much more suited to stay in familiar "turf" in the USA.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Totally Franciscan

I went through the psych exam for a contemplative community, the second community I entered.  The doctor and I got along splendidly, as I was working for doctors in the same building at the time, and we had this in common.  I had to chuckle, as after I entered, the superior was telling me and everyone else at table that the doctor somewhat chastised her for even sending someone as normal as I was.  However, this exam was only a one on one with the doctor; I never had to fill out any tests.  However, when I was about to enter my first community, an active teaching community, the local convent sisters had some sort of questionnaire that they had the three of us from the area fill out.  No doctor involved.  The only question I remembered was, "Would you like to become a member of a motorcycle club?"  I suppose that question was to find out if you had an adventurous spirit and would not do in the day to day life of a sister, but that is just my conjecture.  They accepted me anyway.

Re psyche exams........any exam is a snapshot only, of that moment and that time.

For years and years people entered Religious Life without any of these exams or tests, and most stayed!

I think the best way of evaluating a person is face to face. If distance is involved then we do have other means, especially in todays media driven world. For cloistered communities, then they can use the same systems they have over hundreds of years, snail (or e) mail, telephone, visits - even if these are infrequent and take place towards the end of the getting to know you process and rather nearer the entering point.

Psyche evals are given far too much weight.

In the past, Postulancy was a trial - a try out. These days when it is much more common for people to give it a go in several commnities and this is much more acceptable, I can't see why we can't leave out the psyche eval altogether. I know it is supposed to weed out those who have a definite mental health issue, but actually, these evaluations are not that terribly good at doing that! In the process, some of those who have a genuine calling and may have done absolutely fine in a given community have been turned away........

The old methods are the best, IMO.