An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do People Know About Ive?

MissScripture

A family member asked me what I knew about IVE or the Institute of the Incarnate word, and, well, I know nothing. Anyone here know about them? What they do? What their reputation is? Thanks!

Presumably you have already done this, but just in case: http://www.iveamerica.org/

The SSVM is the same order. They have a wonderful reputation. I know squat about the men.

well, I tried to look at their website, but it wasn't working on my kindle. So then I came here to ask. :)

as mentioned in the linked thread, they are newer, there have been significant difficulties and some disturbing reports, they do very important work and have many wonderful vocations. so ... careful discernment required - in every case but especially in this case.

They were recently discussed here:

www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/130573-womens-orders/

Y'all are talking about the men, right? Or also the women? I thought the SSVM was totally kosher...?

As a poster on that thread I linked to earlier (see above) says "Having been in the Institute, I can tell you the male and female branch and nearly one-in-the-same in regards to structure and formation."

I'd have to agree.  From what I know they are about as same as two branches of different genders could be.  Same founder, same charism, the same priests as confessors and spiritual directors, same parishes, same approach to formation, same traditions, many events/apostolates in common, same retreats at the same places (though they alternate so there aren't men/women at the same time), same pilgrimages.

This is from that iveinfo.org website:

Since that time, despite numerous appeals, the Church's hierarchy has shown the same reluctance in addressing the IVE that it has shown in addressing the abuse scandal at large - mostly ignoring the laity and finding ways to silence the few that don't go away after the first letter of complaint.

The things they say about this order are horrifying. How do we know they're true? (And to the OP: Ignore my comment about the SSVM. I think I may have been mistaken. Listen to the others!)

As a poster on that thread I linked to earlier (see above) says "Having been in the Institute, I can tell you the male and female branch and nearly one-in-the-same in regards to structure and formation."

I'd have to agree.  From what I know they are about as same as two branches of different genders could be.  Same founder, same charism, the same priests as confessors and spiritual directors, same parishes, same approach to formation, same traditions, many events/apostolates in common, same retreats at the same places (though they alternate so there aren't men/women at the same time), same pilgrimages.

Yes, ND, I was just reading that as you posted. Thank you for posting again!

ARFINK,

Is it possible to share some specifics?  Do you have personal knowledge?  For one who is trying to discern a vocation, like this person seems to be, isn't the challenge to discern the "where?" as well as the "am I?" in terms of vocation?  While vocation most certainly is the Holy Spirit working in a heart, weren't we created with minds to evaluate the validity of available information?

Are your concerns addressed  by these two orders themselves? in the websites?  by the diocese?  Have they been corrected?

I guess I've survived to my age by believing if there is nothing to hide,  then nothing has to be hidden.  And my mantra to young people making any important decision is that if your decision has to be kept a secret, then something must be "not quite right." 

Most organizations, secular, educational, nonsecular, are moving towards "transparency" and stand proud of the abiltiy to do it.

In terms of discernment, God most certainly is source.  It seems like transparency of organizations would overcome speculation, criticisms, and rumors. With these eliminated by transparency, the path to Him wouldn't not be so cluttered. 

Any thoughts? 

I am not at liberty to share specific details of the story I was told, as it is not mine. However, I can say that misconduct has been happening and is not being properly addressed, nor restitution being made to the victims.

I guess I've survived to my age by believing if there is nothing to hide,  then nothing has to be hidden.  And my mantra to young people making any important decision is that if your decision has to be kept a secret, then something must be "not quite right."

I agree that, if there is nothing to hide, then nothing has to be hidden. But sometimes people (and especially discerners) have something to hide. If I told my family I were discerning right now, they would freak out. If I discern the choice properly, make the decision, and then explain the whole (multi-year) process to them, they will understand.

It's not always right or wise to tell everyone every possible option for your life that you're considering.

On a second reading, though, maybe that's not what you were saying!

Edited by curiousing

I only caution about secrets when OTHERS are encouraging secrecy. Personal decision-making processes require internal contemplation in conjunction with input from those who have historically been your trustworthy companions - those who have established their integrity and unbiased judgment with you prior to becoming a partner in your discernment process; those who have nothing to gain by your decision. 

I was recently told that an important key to a positive outcome in one's discernment process was to include your family, participate as a family in discussions with the diocese director of vocations rather than any single order's vocation director for it is the vocation that you are discerning, not the order that you want to join in the same way that a college student might join a sorority or fraternity. 

Remember that God created each part of you, your heart, your soul, AND your mind.  He has been your partner in developing all three; critical thinking, logic, and instinct are His gifts and should work harmoniously with your heart and soul as the Holy Spirit guides your discernment.