CrossCuT Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 (edited) A friend of mine posted this on facebook (I wonder if it would be considered one of the insufferable practices haha) and I found it interesting so I read it while drinking my tea this morning. I am definitely guilty of two of these, but I dont view them ALL has such heinous crimes against humanity. I think most of these I DO agree with are pretty irritating...specifically the ones where you use FB as a means to brag...I have quite a few friends who enjoy making long lists of their day to day activities and always talk about "I have the BEST life, the BEST friends, the BEST bf, the BEST job OMGOMGOMOGMGOMG!" And then pukes rainbows all over the place. Or status updates that are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too personal. I have a cousin who discusses her personal diagnosis of her autistic child or her relationship problems with her husband...(including word by word replays of their arguments and why he is TOTALLY being ridiculous). Or girls who post pictures of themslevs half naked in a questionable pose (meant to show of their looks/body) but then call attention to something random in the picture "Look at how dark the new light bulb makes my room! I hate lamps!" It made me think about what makes terrible Facebook behavior terrible, and why other Facebook behavior isn't annoying at all. It comes down to a pretty simple rule: (See picture below) But in the end, how much of it is legit irritation and how much of it is just people being meanies? It seemed to me like the author hated pretty much everything on FB unless it was a wise crack or info relevant to everyone else. Isnt the purpose of FB to stay in touch with friends? Obviously the purpose has been washed out in the last ~7 years that I have been using it. Whats the point of having a fb if all youre interested in is something you can google or read on a news site? Thoughts? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/annoying-facebook-behavior_b_4081038.html Edited October 16, 2013 by CrossCuT
beatitude Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 (edited) I think that very long and ranty article can be summed up in one sentence: "Don't put anything on Facebook ever because some mean-spirited person will impute the worst possible motives to you." If an acquaintance posts that he or she has just got into medical school, I don't immediately think, as does that author, that they must be trying to make me jealous. I think, "WOW! They've got into med school!" I'm happy to see that old classmates are successful and I understand the kind of excitement where it all comes fizzing out and you just want to share it with the world. It's natural to feel that way when you've worked really hard for something and you're happy. When I see things like this, it all goes on my prayer intentions list - I pray for the future doctor/bride/groom/whatever. This is the good thing about Facebook for me; I can catch up with friends who aren't that close or who live a long way from me now, and it's nice to see that they're happy. It seems very insecure to think that every such Facebook status must be an attempt to make other people feel bad about themselves. Posting quotations from the Bible or the Buddha or other spiritual works? When people do that, I just assume that they've read something that interested them and they want to share it in case it interests others. Again, what's the issue? The only things I see a problem with are over-sharing deeply personal information (it's not fair to give intimate details of an autistic child's difficulties on your Facebook - the kid might not want everyone knowing) and, sometimes, the attention-seeking cliff-hanger ("I will never tell anyone anything again"). I would prefer it if people would honestly blurt out what they want rather than fishing for a reaction. Edited October 16, 2013 by beatitude
blazeingstar Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 It's the internet people, who cares? I think people want to prevent facebook from going the way of myspace. Unfortunatly, Facebook seems a bit too NSA for my tastes...
ChristinaTherese Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 Taking things one by one as I read: 1) if you can't talk about your life because it's bragging, what are you supposed to talk about? If you think it's stupid to have 800 people sharing their lives with you, unfriend or hide everyone you don't care about. In the example at the very beginning of the article I don't see anything wrong at all. So he was happy. It was New Year's Day. Don't rain on his parade. 2) Okay, that's just annoying. 3) I can see that in two ways. If I've been working on a paper for a class and I've been talking to my friends about it, I might like to tell them. But, admittedly, there might be better ways. Like our class group. 4) well, if it's posted on a friend's wall it doesn't seem like it should be annoying. 5-7) I'm not giving individual comments. Overall: I think that there's a gray area in most of the things listed and complained about at the top. And, honestly, if facebook is annoying to you, leave. At least, that's what I did. But if I do go on, I care more about personal things than the two things at the beginning of that article. Because, no matter how hard you try, you can't change the culture on facebook. But you can change how you respond to it.
Basilisa Marie Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 I think this article comes from a weird combination of narcissism and image obsession. We're obsessed with trying to keep up with the Joneses more than ever, in a big part due to the fact that things like Facebook allow us to craft an image of ourselves that we want to show the world. We have to remember that those images don't reflect reality, and that someone else's image isn't about you. So WHAT if someone is posting obnoxious things on facebook? Hide them from your newsfeed. But people don't want to do that, they want to be passive and get other people to be active. How many times do we see people who say 'unfriend me if you believe X' or on tumblr 'unfollow me if you think Y'. How lazy and self-righteous can you get? UGH.
CrossCuT Posted October 16, 2013 Author Posted October 16, 2013 Ok good, Im glad we all kind of came to the same conclusion. FB is a social thing and while yes, there are things you probably shouldnt go into too much detail on, its a place to share personal things because everyone is your "friend" right? haha
Winchester Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 Isn't it self-centered to think a status must do something for the reader?
CrossCuT Posted October 16, 2013 Author Posted October 16, 2013 Isn't it self-centered to think a status must do something for the reader? Thats how it came off to me. The author appeared to be only interested if he somehow benefited from a friends update. And like I said in my first post, why doesnt this author simply read a news site? Why have a FB at all? :paperbag:
Nihil Obstat Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 Sounds like the author of the post is simply a misanthrope. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but he comes off pretty whiny. :|
CrossCuT Posted October 16, 2013 Author Posted October 16, 2013 Sounds like the author of the post is simply a misanthrope. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but he comes off pretty whiny. :| Yap. Sounds like he hates everything on FB
Slappo Posted October 16, 2013 Posted October 16, 2013 Isn't it self-centered to think a status must do something for the reader? With every status update I think to myself "I am totally edifying my facebook friends by posting this!". Then I proceed to post "My daughter just picked her nose! HAHAHA!"
picchick Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 I use Facebook as a platform to spread my personal political agenda.
Catherine Therese Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 With every status update I think to myself "I am totally edifying my facebook friends by posting this!". Then I proceed to post "My daughter just picked her nose! HAHAHA!" :rotfl2:
blazeingstar Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 I use Facebook as a platform to spread my personal political agenda. Picchick you're back????
CatherineM Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 If people don't like my posts, they can defriend.
Lil Red Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 I use Facebook as a platform to spread my personal political agenda. winchester uses his to spread anarchy.
EmilyAnn Posted October 17, 2013 Posted October 17, 2013 The thing is, what people forget is that not everything every single one of your Facebook friends posts is directed specifically at you. For example, my brother posts a lot of pictures of his daughter (and kid-photos on Facebook are one the things I most hear people complaining about). He posts them on Facebook because it's an easy way to share them with family who live far away. He's a tattooist, so he also posts a lot of photos of tattoos he's done. For him, that's a way of marketing and possibly getting new customers. Do I care for tattoo photos? No. Do all his acquaintances care for photos of his daughter? No. If someone is really irritating you, unfriend them. I did a cleanse of my Facebook friends a few months ago. I unfriended nearly 300 people. My news feed is much more interesting now, because it's limited to people I actually care about.
picchick Posted October 19, 2013 Posted October 19, 2013 Picchick you're back???? Maybe I never left.... Muhahahahahaha
blazeingstar Posted October 19, 2013 Posted October 19, 2013 Maybe I never left.... Muhahahahahaha Hmm well you were missed
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now