An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pictures Of Morristown Carmel/election

inperpetuity

Inperpetuity...thanks for posting the link!  Would you happen to know if the older woman (sigh!) in the back of the community photo is an aspirant?  The younger person in the front (with a short veil & cape) must be a postulant.

Inperpetuity...thanks for posting the link!  Would you happen to know if the older woman (sigh!) in the back of the community photo is an aspirant?  The younger person in the front (with a short veil & cape) must be a postulant.

No, that is Sr. Mary Edward, an active sister that came with the Bishop for the tour.  They do accept older vocations though, but candidates must be in very good health. :)

Please help! I wasn't able to view a photo :( .

Try going on to the diocese of Patterson, there should be a link there.

AccountDeleted

No, that is Sr. Mary Edward, an active sister that came with the Bishop for the tour.  They do accept older vocations though, but candidates must be in very good health. :)

And it takes an Act of God to get through to them! :p

At least it did when I tried to contact them back in 2009. I lived in NJ at the time, and drove to their convent twice and put a letter in the spot marked for letters each time, and they never responded either by mail or by phone. I couldn't get anyone to speak with me, and the 'helpers' (women who seemed to work there) told me that they wouldn't see me on a Saturday as it was their 'day off'.

I guess God has His own plans and that wasn't one for me at that time. I hope others have an easier time of it than I did! :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I'm really surprised that this was in the paper and a photographer was allowed to photograph the election.

Sr. Mary Edward is a Sister of Christian Charity and I believe the vicar for religious for Paterson.

It's good to see they are slowly growing again. Morristown has had a hard road.

AccountDeleted

I'm really surprised that this was in the paper and a photographer was allowed to photograph the election.

Sr. Mary Edward is a Sister of Christian Charity and I believe the vicar for religious for Paterson.

It's good to see they are slowly growing again. Morristown has had a hard road.

You are so right. When I didn't hear back from them, I checked around the Diocese to see what was going on, and learned about some of their problems. It looks as if they are flourishing now though - so many white veils! Praise God.

Minor point...but I was wondering about their habits (some brown, some grey or a combination of both!).  If the latter are work habits, it seems rather unusual with the bishop present.  More likely, it is a simple & beautiful expression of their vow of poverty!

AccountDeleted

Minor point...but I was wondering about their habits (some brown, some grey or a combination of both!).  If the latter are work habits, it seems rather unusual with the bishop present.  More likely, it is a simple & beautiful expression of their vow of poverty!

I have noticed that brown fades easily, especially with some fabrics. I have been in Carmels where the colors of the habits varied in shades from brown to grey - through sun bleaching and fading.

And it takes an Act of God to get through to them! :P

At least it did when I tried to contact them back in 2009. I lived in NJ at the time, and drove to their convent twice and put a letter in the spot marked for letters each time, and they never responded either by mail or by phone. I couldn't get anyone to speak with me, and the 'helpers' (women who seemed to work there) told me that they wouldn't see me on a Saturday as it was their 'day off'.

I guess God has His own plans and that wasn't one for me at that time. I hope others have an easier time of it than I did! :)

Yes, it does.  I wrote to them twice over a six-month period last year and my sd had to actually call the priest who says mass for them to get him to ask the prioress if she received my letters.  She said she did not get either one!  It was very frustrating. :rolleyes:

VeniJesuAmorMi

so neat! thanks for sharing! here's a pdf on the same thing with a couple more pictures too, http://www.patersondiocese.org/pdf/beacon/091213_p11.pdf?CFID=2794856&CFTOKEN=48360125&jsessionid=8430f38c01101440be605b777c4c747b5f62 I love the one with the baby turtle! :heart:

Aw! The baby turtle is so cute! These pictures are great of the Sisters. Thank you Inperpetuity and Chiqui for sharing these!