An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Idea Of Hell Is ?

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

I don't think hell is a pit of fire and unrelenting pain - oh no. Hell is much worse than that!

For me, hell is...

Having to do online research using dial-up.

skeleton-computer.jpg

Tea made with lukewarm water.

0114-tea_bag_bd.jpg

Family gatherings.

Lets-have-a-family-gathering.jpg

Applying for jobs.

job-hunt.jpg

Every day is a bad hair day.

bhd.jpg

What would hell be like for you?

Edited by nunsense

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CcJ_IKUl4E[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKllfrSvrE0&list=PLyNYwjoiRwIhTBZrMcgLcTg1wzXkP-o7f[/media]

Edited by AnneLine

AccountDeleted

Having to poop on the road and there's no public bathroom for miles.

Then don't walk the Camino!:)

0918_1205+Camino+Scourge.JPG

AccountDeleted

I think doing research the old fashioned way with NO internet would stink much worse lol

Yeah but in those days we didn't know any better!  :)

2764788645941346275hcwI00pc.jpg

I think doing research the old fashioned way with NO internet would stink much worse lol

Well... to put this in perspective: Research requirements in the good ol' days were much, much lower, because they couldn't expect people to gather, process, and synthesize masses of data as quickly or easily. Now that all that's possible...

Personally, I'd prefer the slow, old-fashioned way.

AccountDeleted

Well... to put this in perspective: Research requirements in the good ol' days were much, much lower, because they couldn't expect people to gather, process, and synthesize masses of data as quickly or easily. Now that all that's possible...

Personally, I'd prefer the slow, old-fashioned way.

Have you ever done it the slow, old fashioned way? Just asking.

It involved physically going to libraries and searching for books, asking librarians to contact other libraries for inter-library transfers, using microfiche to search old journal articles, index card searches, etc.

As for research requirements being lower - hah! Today a person can plagiarize online or pay for someone else to do a paper for them.

Your perspective is a little skewed methinks! :)  But it's always easy to view the past through a romantic haze.....

292a4912c59ef941af4604fffbe56cc8.jpg

good-old-days.jpg

Have you ever done it the slow, old fashioned way? Just asking.

It involved physically going to libraries and searching for books, asking librarians to contact other libraries for inter-library transfers, using microfiche to search old journal articles, index card searches, etc.

As for research requirements being lower - hah! Today a person can plagiarize online or pay for someone else to do a paper for them.

Your perspective is a little skewed methinks! :)  But it's always easy to view the past through a romantic haze.....

Yes, I have done it the slow, old-fashioned way. I'm not that young. Have you done academic research today? The standards are insanely high—and I'm not talking about quality, but quantity. Why can they demand so much? Because we have such easy access to data. Over the last couple decades, the research requirements in academia—both for students and professors—have slowly inched up till they're now a thorough life-smell of elderberries. And they're only rising. More and more schools that never required their professors to research are now hiring only people who do research. The internet is obviously not the only factor there, but it's a big one. It has sped up the pace of academic research to the point that it is, IMO, no longer humane.

The same can be said at the undergraduate level. Whereas, back in the day, professors used to recognize that someone had to go to the library, look up the microfiche, etc., and so only assigned two medium-size papers in a semester, nowadays they'll assign four small papers, two medium papers, and a semester paper. Again, the internet is not the only factor here, but it's a big one.

I'm not sure what plagiarizing has to do with research requirements. The requirement is that you NOT plagiarize, regardless of historical era. When I said requirements were lower back in the day, I meant the quantity of research required was a lot lower, because research proceeded at a human pace. Now it's higher, and to a lot of researchers, it feels like we no longer drive the data. It drives us.

My perspective is skewed, because it comes out of the academy. But there is absolutely nothing romantic about it. One can comment positively on the past without it being the result of romanticism. Personally, I would much rather have a lot less (in terms of quantity) expected of me, and have to do it the hard way, than have a mountain of papers expected of me, and knock them all out as quickly as possible. Quality IS implicated here, because the more we do, the more overall quality suffers. If you look at the average academic paper published now versus that published 50 years ago, you'll see exactly what I mean. We're pumping it out—but most of it stinks. (Here my bias is in the liberal arts. And again, I fully acknowledge that the internet is not the only factor, but it is a big one!)

Edited by curiousing

AccountDeleted

Yes, I have done it the slow, old-fashioned way. I'm not that young. Have you done academic research today? The standards are insanely high—and I'm not talking about quality, but quantity. Why can they demand so much? Because we have such easy access to data. Over the last couple decades, the research requirements in academia—both for students and professors—have slowly inched up till they're now a thorough life-smell of elderberries. And they're only rising. More and more schools that never required their professors to research are now hiring only people who do research. The internet is obviously not the only factor there, but it's a big one. It has sped up the pace of academic research to the point that it is, IMO, no longer humane.

The same can be said at the undergraduate level. Whereas, back in the day, professors used to recognize that someone had to go to the library, look up the microfiche, etc., and so only assigned two medium-size papers in a semester, nowadays they'll assign four small papers, two medium papers, and a semester paper. Again, the internet is not the only factor here, but it's a big one.

I'm not sure what plagiarizing has to do with research requirements. The requirement is that you NOT plagiarize, regardless of historical era. When I said requirements were lower back in the day, I meant the quantity of research required was a lot lower, because research proceeded at a human pace. Now it's higher, and to a lot of researchers, it feels like we no longer drive the data. It drives us.

My perspective is skewed, because it comes out of the academy. But there is absolutely nothing romantic about it. One can comment positively on the past without it being the result of romanticism. Personally, I would much rather have a lot less (in terms of quantity) expected of me, and have to do it the hard way, than have a mountain of papers expected of me, and knock them all out as quickly as possible. Quality IS implicated here, because the more we do, the more overall quality suffers. If you look at the average academic paper published now versus that published 50 years ago, you'll see exactly what I mean. We're pumping it out—but most of it stinks. (Here my bias is in the liberal arts. And again, I fully acknowledge that the internet is not the only factor, but it is a big one!)

:hardhead:      :deadhorse:

Look, these debates can be endless and this was supposed to be a fun thread. I lived through the good old days and my idea of hell is going back to them. I'm sure you have your own versions of hell - so lighten up and get with the program, ok?

Have a little fun.....

or are we in hell already? :p

itshellinhere.jpg

Yes, I have done it the slow, old-fashioned way. I'm not that young. Have you done academic research today? The standards are insanely high—and I'm not talking about quality, but quantity. Why can they demand so much? Because we have such easy access to data. Over the last couple decades, the research requirements in academia—both for students and professors—have slowly inched up till they're now a thorough life-smell of elderberries. And they're only rising. More and more schools that never required their professors to research are now hiring only people who do research. The internet is obviously not the only factor there, but it's a big one. It has sped up the pace of academic research to the point that it is, IMO, no longer humane.

I'm not sure what plagiarizing has to do with research requirements. The requirement is that you NOT plagiarize, regardless of historical era. When I said requirements were lower back in the day, I meant the quantity of research required was a lot lower, because research proceeded at a human pace. Now it's higher, and to a lot of researchers, it feels like we no longer drive the data. It drives us.

My perspective is skewed, because it comes out of the academy. But there is absolutely nothing romantic about it. One can comment positively on the past without it being the result of romanticism. Personally, I would much rather have a lot less (in terms of quantity) expected of me, and have to do it the hard way, than have a mountain of papers expected of me, and knock them all out as quickly as possible. Quality IS implicated here, because the more we do, the more overall quality suffers. If you look at the average academic paper published now versus that published 50 years ago, you'll see exactly what I mean. We're pumping it out—but most of it stinks. (Here my bias is in the liberal arts. And again, I fully acknowledge that the internet is not the only factor, but it is a big one!)

You should write a paper on this.

You should write a paper on this.

It's a topic I'm very passionate about, as it directly impacts my quality of life and job prospects. Which is probably why I got very serious discussing it. That, and I'm not very familiar with the Lame Board.

I've written similar papers, but none on this topic specifically. It's a good idea. I'll consider it. Thanks! :-)

AccountDeleted

My idea of hell is having to go back and write my Master's thesis again without the Internet! :p

4cfa8eb25c2c60f6663f7f18cc53f8ef.jpg

That, and having to debate serious topics on the Lame Board when I come here to get away from all the dissention of Vocation Station :shock:

Disagreeing-Birds.jpg

Whatever hell is like, one thing is for sure: its a small world after all, its a small world after all, its a small world after all, its a small, small world...