An Old School Catholic Message Board

"self-monitoring" In Religious Life?

Gabriela

“Self-monitoring” is a personality concept with two types: high self-monitors (HSMs) and low self-monitors (LSMs). High self-monitors are commonly called “the chameleons of the social world”. They change their behavior to fit the social situation. They tend to be very concerned with “impression management”. They tend to have very large social networks that are diverse and constantly changing/growing. They typically keep separate groups of friends for separate activities/interests. Because they are so socially adaptable, HSMs tend to be relatively successful. Most politicians, upper-level managers, etc., are HSMs.

LSMs do not change their behavior to fit the social situation. They are very concerned with “being their true selves” regardless of context. Their social networks are relatively small, homogeneous, and stable. They typically have just one group of friends for all activities/interests.

HSMs sometimes perceive LSMs to be rigid, narrow, closed-off, etc. LSMs sometimes perceive HSMs to be two-faced, ungenuine, people-users, etc.

It’s important to recognize that not all HSMs are extroverts, and not all LSMs are introverts. Self-monitoring and extraversion/introversion are two separate concepts.

I wonder: Do people drawn to/in religious life tend to be HSMs or LSMs? If you’re interested in knowing, too, you can find out here: http://personality-testing.info/tests/SM.php

It’s a short questionnaire that takes about two minutes to fill out. (You’re not supposed to over-think the questions. Go with your gut reaction!) Post your score here and maybe we’ll learn something about the types of personalities drawn to different types of religious life!

I’ll go first:

I scored a 2, which means I’m an extreme low self-monitor. Only 0.49% of the population scores lower than me.

I am drawn to contemplative life, specifically eremitic life.

That is really interesting... I would bed most people interested in religious life would be in the middle of the bell curve.  I scored a 15 out of 25.  I think in religious life one needs to have some characteristics of both because there is certainly an element of conformity when one joins a community.  There is also the requirement that one be true to ones self in community as well especially when it comes to issues of integrity.  

Thanks for sharing this.

there is certainly an element of conformity when one joins a community.  There is also the requirement that one be true to ones self in community as well especially when it comes to issues of integrity.

That's precisely why I wondered. :-)

You're welcome! Thanks for posting your score!

Your score (6/25) indicates that you value staying true to yourself and are unwilling to modify your behavior just to get the approval of thers. You probably do not like to be the center of attention very often.  

I'm not a candidate for religious life, but if I were I would prefer monastic life.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I scored 5/25 and I am a monk (semi-contemplative).

This is a really interesting concept, and not one that I had thought about before. Thanks for sharing!

Totally Franciscan

I scored 2/25.  Interestingly, the comment given to me was exactly as BarbaraTherese, who scored 6/25.  I am interested in cloistered monastic life.

I scored 2/25.  Interestingly, the comment given to me was exactly as BarbaraTherese, who scored 6/25.  I am interested in cloistered monastic life.

I'm assuming it only gives two comments: one for HSMs and one for LSMs. It would only change at the cut-off point for either of those.

It'll be interesting to see where that cut-off point is, because I just realized that the 11-point cutoff I mentioned is for the 18-item version of this scale. We're using the (original) 25-item one. There's no significant difference between these. Statistical tests show that they're equally valid. The shorter one was developed for situations in which one is using a lot of such questionnaires, so it's necessary to use short versions so people don't get survey fatigue. Still, that might mean the cut-off between LSMs and HSMs is different in the 25-point scale. I'm not sure. Hopefully we'll find out!

PhuturePriest

I got 24 out of 25, and scored 99.54% higher than most. Pretty much, no one but God knows who I really am. :P

But it makes sense. I act differently in different situations all the time. I'm different with everyone I meet, really. I'm super talkative to my friends and am super energized when around them, but to most I'm quiet and reserved. People often say they've never known someone so calm and peaceful as I am. My spiritual director recently asked what my secret is. :P

Oh, and I'm interested in the diocesan priesthood. It will probably be good thar I can blend with any group if/when I'm a priest, because priests tend to have to be social and interact with different people constantly.

Edited by FuturePriest387

K, I'm going to put a hole in your theory because I scored 15/25 and if I were to enter an order, it better be contemplative and cloistered.

Edited by truthfinder