An Old School Catholic Message Board

Waiting...

Lil'Nun

Please could you say a small prayer for me. I've been waiting to hear back from a community that really interest me, it's been a while and I am finding it difficult. I am placing my trust in God, but sometimes I get a bit nervous about it. I guess it is because it is so important to me.

If you don't mind I am not going to say which community. But I have checked them out and they seem faithful and wonderful.

Thanks.

AccountDeleted

Waiting seems to be one of the hardest things in life- at least for me it is. We are always waiting for something it seems. We wait to get accepted into a course, we wait for results, we wait for holidays, we wait for either a partner in life or for a career.

I just don't know that there is any escape from waiting - until we reach heaven! The trick I have learned is to keep busy with other things when I am waiting for something in particular. It doesn't stop the impatience but it distracts from it. And sometimes I can forget the waiting if I get really involved in something else.

Prayers for you. I am waiting for something too - and if I spend too much time thinking about it, I go crazy. So back to distractions! :)

Waiting is so very difficult, but don't let it consume you or send you into a state of inertia.  There is nothing edifying in worrying, but waiting has a lot to teach you if you let it! Search the Scriptures for passages dealing with waiting and see how they relate to your situation. Do some Lectio Divina. Pray for grace in your waiting.  Be proactive, girl!!!!  Prayers for you.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I also have been through this myself many times during discernment. I will certainly be adding you to my prayers. It seems as though our patience and trust are tested during the waiting time, but if we are faithful they will also be strengthened. It seems as though when we are made to wait we become (hopefully) more surrendered to His Will. There were times when I tried to go ahead of Him and have things happen in my time, but it was never right. Think of it this way too: when everything comes together in His way and time we see just how it couldn't be better; everything truly will be just right. So I am praying for you during this time. Maybe it will help also to think of how patient He is with us and how often He waits for us. :)

Thank you all for your prayers. I truly needed them. I last emailed the VD two weeks ago, I have not heard anything, I thought I would wait a month before emailing again. I don't want to seem pushy but I don't want to seem uninterested. I know she must be very busy but I just want to be sure my emailing hasn't ended up lurking in her spam folder! Do you think a month would be too long to wait, or about right?

Thanks!

Not possible to know why they have not gotten back to you in a timely manner - could be one of many reasons, some of them simple and inocuous!  Not sure about timing for follow up although after 3 wks seems not too soon.

In the meantime, rest in God's will (the only place where we can find our joy).   Prayers....

To be honest, if I was a VD, I would well remember what a big step it was to contact a community and how you breathlessly await some kind of response. I would want to respond to an inquiry ASAP! Even if it's only to say "I got your email - I'm happy you are interested in our community and I can't wait to get to know you.  Please give me another few days for a more personal response as I am right in the middle of reviewing several applications (or whatever.)"  At least it makes an inquirer feel welcome and special. 

Catherine Therese

are we there yet?

are we there yet?

;) waiting is rough sometimes, I know. But the whole notion of waiting kinda jumps a million steps ahead of the present moment. I'll pray that you can focus on the graces and tasks of the now, so that this time isn't just "holding pattern" but is still very much life lived to the full for the greater glory of the God who loves you! I'll also pray for an easing in your anxiety about it.

I know you would already know this in your head. Its still worth saying, though, I reckon.

I would send a follow-up letter or phone call if I hadn't heard anything in another few days.  Because sometimes technology (and paper) have glitches, messages go astray and letters or phone calls can be lost.  You never know.

You don't have to be pushy, just indicate that you had written/emailed/called (whatever) and had not heard back, so just want to be sure they know that you are trying to reach them.   And offer to pray for them.

And... you can include a small donation in the form of a check if you feel comfortable with that.... the cashed check is a pretty good indication that someone has received a letter!