An Old School Catholic Message Board

Q About Sd

Julie de Sales

Julie de Sales

Lets say a priest accepted to be your SD. From the begining, should you fix with him a rhythm of the meetings (once every month/two months, etc) or just go and talk to him whenever you feel the need? Personally I would be more comfortable if I had a schedule but I don't know if I should impose this on the priest. Or maybe one or the other option are equally good.

AccountDeleted

Any reason why you and the priest can't work this out together? Of course you wouldn't want to inconvenience him or interfere with his schedule, but he might feel that you would benefit from regular meetings.

Communication starts with the first encounter.... discuss it. :)

I set a schedule of meetings with my sd from the beginning ... i.e. we agreed upon every two months (due to distance -- we both would have preferred monthly meetings).

I would have the 1st meeting and come up with a plan.  Plus -- that doesn't mean that if something urgent comes up you can't attempt to schedule something in between meetings.  Life does happen ...

Usually the spiritual director will tell you how often you should come.  If he doesn't, ask.  If you aren't comfortable enough to ask him that question, then he's not the spiritual director for you.  I mention this not because you have indicated a hesitancy in asking, but because many start off going to a priest that they really aren't comfortable with and it can be hard to change that feeling later on.

As a spiritual director myself, I meet with my directs on a regular basis (9:00 am on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, for example) from the get go .  It provides a sense of accountability  for the directee as s/he prepares for their session.  We talk about the frequency of sessions on the 1st and 2nd visits as it gives me a better indication of where they are spiritually and it gives the directee a chance to really discover just what it is that they are coming to SD for (whew, that was bad sentence structure). And situations change.  Some people feel they need to see me twice a month and that's okay.  Once a month IMHO is just fine.  I don't charge anything, so it's not a hardship for those who need to come more frequently.  I keep a basket by the door for the local food pantry for those who wish to bring a can of food to donate.

Spem in alium

A schedule for regular meetings is good. My SD usually suggests a meeting each month for me. We don't set them for regular days or times, just make them according to when we are both free. Talk to you SD and come up with a schedule that suits the both of you :)