An Old School Catholic Message Board

Different Stages In Rl

Julie de Sales

Julie de Sales

Maybe it would be better to ask this question to a religious sister, but I know some of you are/were in religious life, so here it goes: what would be the most important/touching moment of the process of becoming a nun? Is it the entrance into novitiate, the first profession or the final vows? I imagine all have their beauty, but I also think there are some more significant than others. For example, a cloistered nun once said that she was most touched by the entrance into novitiate and even if she was very happy to make her final vows, she stressed that she already had offered herself to God.

And I know some people consider themselves during the novitiate as the fiancée of Jesus and His spouse from the first profession? Or final?  :think2: But it's kind of strange because in some communities you are dressed like a bride for this ceremony; however, you recieve the ring when you pronounce your final vows. I don't really understand this things...

As is often the case, I think it depends upon the individual practices of each community.......

So, speaking personally, I felt I was Jesus' bride at my Clothing, I felt I had become a nun when I made first Vows and received the Scapular, and at final profession I was focused on having become dead to the world and entirely hidden in His Most Sacred Heart, and that I wanted for nothing baring heaven..........

It is interesting looking back because we received our ring engraved with 'Jesus is my Spouse' at final profession, yet I experienced this more fully at first Vows. It is probably different for each of us and where and how He leads.

Hi Julie,

I come under fire for comparing religious life to marriage but heregoes.

I think that there are also many stages when people feel "married".

My friend and I have two very different vocations but the paralell is uncanny

going on dates/interviewing for orders (2012 and previous)

spending time with one guy/spending time with one order(Jan 2013-fall)

engagement/postulation (October for me, September for her)

and for the future

marriage/first vows (Sept 2014)

children/final vows ( 2016)

Now, a childless couple is not akin to a nun who didn't take her final vows, rather I think that it symbolizes the "donation of self" change that occurs with final vows.  I think around a year or so into marriage, regardless of children the newness has worn off and the change has become within self.  I think that it is the same in a nun or a monk.  First vows are that beautifully nieve "yes"  for the world's sake and final vows are the deep and resounding "yes" within the soul.  It's of course still different in may ways as she's living there this year while I am not living with my future spouse.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I received the grace to became a novice in Carmel and I consider it a grace as well that I didn't make First Vows because it wasn't the right time or community for me. I could share from what I experienced and understand. It was wonderful that while I was there I got to be there for at least one of each Clothing, First Vows, and Solemn Vows. First, just to start off with the joy of finally entering the community as a postulant. I can't even count the times at recreation of all the funny stories we shared about the funny things postulants have done as they start off in their formation. There were many laughs. :) That was certainly a time of observation and learning the necessities that were necessary for a postulant. I was told its always a good sign to the Reverend Mother if the postulant is eating and sleeping well. As a postulant you did the things the novices did, but you were still in that learning and practice stage, whereas the novice would be "more in the know."

To become a novice was, and is, very special. You become more part of the community, and just like when you first enter you are striving to be more conformed to Our Lord and be the religious you are called to be and so this stage is also like a reminder of that goal you are striving for: to become more empty of yourself and to give yourself more to Jesus. Its also what they call the testing period, because during this one year (some communities its two) you are finding out if you belong with this community and are preparing to bind yourself more closely to Our Lord by the Holy Vows and by living more fully the rule of the Order. And of course, receiving the Holy Habit; just how special and that being a reminder of what you are striving for. The Sister also has her head shaved and makes this part of her offering of herself to Our Lord.

When it comes time to make First Vows, Sister makes her temporary profession of the Vows for three years (in this community.) This celebration is more bridal, even the decorations and cake they had. Sister also receives her profession Crucifix that she will always wear over her heart, you could say as a reminder of Who she now belongs and also that she is to put on His life and carry her cross with Him (in Carmel the Sister also has a cross on the wall in her cell to remind her that it is her on that cross.) In this community (maybe for most Carmels too?) Sister also receives a relic of the Saint she has for her name in religion and this she will wear with the profession Crucifix.

Final Vows (called Solemn Vows in most Carmels, some take perpetual vows. I know that Extern Sisters do) is just that, to make the Vows she took at her First Profession final. She also receives the black veil to symbolize that it is no longer her that lives, but that Christ lives in her (St. Paul) It is like an external sign of her death to self. Some communities and other Orders receive the black veil at First Profession. Now, she has chosen to be His and be with the community for life. :)

To answer the question about when Sister becomes His spouse, it was celebrated that way when she made First Vows and then when she made her Solemn Vows she was choosing to be His for life in that community and Order. Perhaps when most enter they have this in their heart to begin with; that they see themselves as being completely His. It becomes a seeking of where and how you could give yourself more to the Beloved, and it seems that there is nowhere "in the world" that could satisfy this longing. I know when you enter a community, you are still discerning but some just know in their heart that they already belong to Him alone and so they are seeking in religious life to make this union more complete. These are my rambling thoughts, and I certainly couldn't tire thinking of these things! :)

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

be_thou_my_vision

Personally, I can't really say one celebration that was especially, well, special. I had some very intimate moments with the Lord as a novice in solitude.

I will have to say, though, that my first vows was very moving for me. I had pneumonia at the time and had been sick with a chronic illness for over a year, so I really saw the grace of vows as total surrender... and it was :)

The Clothing ceremony was definitely special.  Being in the habit and veil for the first time is awesome.  It makes one feel different both internally and externally.  I had the feeling that my life had really changed.  And receiving your name at the clothing ceremony is special.