An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let Me Run This Past You...

Lil'Nun

brandelynmarie

This is amesome! Lil'Nun, you might be starting a new trend in discernment! ;)

Edited by brandelynmarie

Try the website for "Vision" Magazine.  It may still  link to a vocation questionnaire that can go to multiple communities.  It could well be a help in sifting through "available" communities that will also be attractive to you.  Best wishes for your search!

I hope this works well for you, Lil;Nun... but those ads are EXPENSIVE.

I wonder if you might be able to get someone from your diocesan paper interested in running an ARTICLE on the subject.... and perhaps see if there is enough interest/response to that article to maybe set up a support group for older and/or delayed-by-necessity-but-I-am-coming vocations.  Just judging from what we see on here, you are NOT the only person with this problem -- and I know of others.

It could benefit the commumnities, too, because a lot of communities don't want the fuss of sponsoring a group, but would be open to having one (or people referred by one) to come to visit.  They also are scared of 'older' vocations --this would be a chance to see you and get over some of those fears without any promises of commitment.  Might be very attractive to communities....

Maybe such a group could plan monthly or bimonthly get-togethers either over coffee or for mass and/or evening prayer and a chat.... and you might find something like a secular order group or Serra club or KofC who would be willing to sponsor something like this.  Perhaps even the diocese or a parish would be open to hosting the thing if they found there was interest....

It would also let you be a little more anonymous than running an ad would be -- and really, BE CAREFUL... there are a lot of crazies out there!!!!

Just a thought.... 

Another brilliant idea. I think the newspaper article could really get some attention... especially if you get several women together and offer the story to the paper.

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this thread. I am just working long night shifts at the moment . I will be off nights after the weekend. But out of interest, how many Phatmassers would be interested in joining a group like this if it existed?

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this thread. I am just working long night shifts at the moment . I will be off nights after the weekend. But out of interest, how many Phatmassers would be interested in joining a group like this if it existed?

I'm not quite old enough yet, I don't think, but I'll be there soon...

Anyway, just bumping your thread! ;-)

I also have not forgotten the thread; I have a houseguest this weekend, and so I am letting it simmer under the watchful eye of the Holy Spirit, like a good stew.... to be enjoyed when it is ready... ;)

I am in exactly the same boat you are in.  EXACTLY.  You are probably not as old as you think you are.  There are many communities that accept "mature vocations."  Many will take each person on an individual basis even if they do not advertise this way.  What type of religious vocation or community do you feel called to?  If you want to send me a personal note feel free, and I can give you some ideas.

I would not advertise as such.  BUT, one of these wonderful responders suggested getting several people together to tell their story and to get someone to write an article.  Maybe that's the way to go.  Get the Church talking about it.  Discussion often opens minds and doors.  Good Luck