An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican Issues Global Questionnaire On Modern Families

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

Vatican issues global questionnaire on modern families

Lorenzo Baldisseri, head of the synod of bishops, told reporters that the meeting's theme "reflects very well the pastoral zeal with which the Holy Father wishes to approach the proclamation of the Gospel to the family in today's world".

He said the consultation also showed Francis, who has said the Catholic Church is too "Vatican-centric", wanted more "collegiality".

Cardinal Peter Erdo, president of the Council of the Bishops' Conferences of Europe, referred in particular to the increase in cohabiting Catholic couples who do not intend to marry, saying "the phenomenon requires a deepened reflection."

Archbishop Bruno Forte, special secretary of the synod, said "the Church has to better its understanding, it is not a static body. We do not have the answers ready, but we cannot behave like an ostrich, with its head in the sand."

Vatican expert Marco Politi, who writes for the Italian weekly L'Espresso, told AFP that "it is hugely significant that the Church, instead of presenting its 'truth' on families, civil unions and homosexuality from on high, wants to hear about the experience of the local faithful."

I wonder what the media's intent is by portraying the Holy Father is a liberal intent on altering the faith

Build an army of cafeteria Catholics subscribing to ungodly morals ready to undermine Catholic activism?

HisChildForever

FYI, here is the actual questionnaire:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/2013/11/that-survey-for-the-world-wide-church-not-exactly/

Which is meant for bishops and priests to answer. The average Catholic, and I would bet even a large number of people on Phatmass, would not be able to answer these questions.

Thanks for the link!

I was confused about the (real) purpose of this questionnaire.

I love how even with the first set of questions the media is intent on making the statment that becuase it's being asked about it's going to change.

Err no.  Maybe we're asking about it to see how big of an issue it actually is and what WE can do to change their attitude.

From looking at the questionnaire, the biggest thing they're trying to assess is what is keeping people from believing the Church's message so it can be addressed. That's pretty cool, IMO, and actually makes much more sense than the Church taking a poll so it knows how it needs to change the doctrines. :) Personally, if the Church was wanting to change doctrine, I don't think a poll would be necessary at all, which is why I thought this was awful fishy until I actually saw the questions themselves. Then it all made sense.

FYI, here is the actual questionnaire:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/2013/11/that-survey-for-the-world-wide-church-not-exactly/

Which is meant for bishops and priests to answer. The average Catholic, and I would bet even a large number of people on Phatmass, would not be able to answer these questions.

I think its too bad that it wont be going to us common folk. I think it would be a great tool to listen to the followers (as you said in your comment above) in order to assess the situation at hand so that they can address it appropriately. 

Edited by CrossCuT

I think its too bad that it wont be going to us common folk. I think it would be a great tool to listen to the followers (as you said in your comment above) in order to assess the situation at hand so that they can address it appropriately. 

Fortunately, pastors and bishops can and do listen to their people, and are usually all too well acquainted with the issues people face. So I figure I'm cool with trusting them with it.

Hmmmm... well... back about 13 years ago, my Secular Order requested 'feedback' from every single Secular Order member before they re-did our Constitutions.   It took hours within community AND individually... and then we had to submit everything to Rome.

We didn't get as much as a 'thank you for your submission' reply email.

And when the changes came out, I think a lot of us felt like no one had listed to a thing we had said.  It was pretty clear it that the decisions on what to do had already been done.    In fact, some of the suggestions that we made were later incorporated in some revisions... probably because they realized we had actually been suggesting some pretty important changes.

Reality.... there is no way a few million or billion Catholics will be able to submit their 'own' replies.  Best you can do is make sure your pastors and possibly your bishops know stuff that really is important to you.

But most importantly... trust that the Holy Spirit is alive and at work in this... and pray for them.

My 2 cents.

Catherine Therese

My Bishop has opened up a web survey so in our diocese it IS going to us common folk. I daresay there will be a team of staff compiling and categorising the responses prior to the Bishop submitting his answer.

I <3 my bishop!

I get the feeling this is like a diagnostic test in school… He's going to know exactly what the engagement rate is firstly - people who care enough to answer - and he's going to have an understanding of what people know, believe, understand… and how they feel about it all. Who says Dominicans lock themselves away in ivory towers? My bish is pretty pastoral as well as an excellent preacher, and after this he is sure going to understand his flock a great deal better!

My Bishop has opened up a web survey so in our diocese it IS going to us common folk. I daresay there will be a team of staff compiling and categorising the responses prior to the Bishop submitting his answer.

I <3 my bishop!

I get the feeling this is like a diagnostic test in school… He's going to know exactly what the engagement rate is firstly - people who care enough to answer - and he's going to have an understanding of what people know, believe, understand… and how they feel about it all. Who says Dominicans lock themselves away in ivory towers? My bish is pretty pastoral as well as an excellent preacher, and after this he is sure going to understand his flock a great deal better!

Thats really awesome! 

Wolf Blitzer last night was all, "Obviously this is the first step to the Catholic Church recognizing marriage equality!"

I always chuckle when I hear the name Wolf Blitzer. Except when I groan in disgust, but that's beside the point...