An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions Kids Ask

inunionwithrome

inunionwithrome

So, tonight at CCD or Faith Formation as it is called here, our 3rd Graders participated in "Light Up for Christ." Our parish sings Christmas songs, lights up the manger as we all hold candles, and then go to the gym for Cocoa and Cookies, and Coffee for the adults. On the way back, one of the boys "G", asked me, "Are you a nun?" I said, "Not yet, but I am thinking about it!" Out of the mouths of babes! What insight!

Mary+Immaculate<3

Haha this one time I was 14 I worked for a first grade musical theater program. A little girl saw the purity ring I wore on my left hand. She asked me if I was married! :hehe:
Well...not in the way she thinks! ;)

I was once asked by a five year old, who had walked all round me scrutinising me very carefully "Have you got ears?"

I was in full habit at the time of course and the only cloistered nun present.

AveMariaPurissima

Speaking of little kids...I'm friends with a family with six small children (ages 4-11).  After the first time they saw me after I came home from the convent, they had an interesting conversation with their mom, and it always cracks me up when I think about it.  "E", the second oldest, said, "At Mass this morning I saw someone who looked just like Ave, but I thought that it couldn't be her, because she became a nun, but then when I got to your room [this was during the week of Vacation Bible School, and I was helping in the Faith Station with their mom] I saw that it really was her!  But...I thought she became a nun?"  So their mom explained that I needed more time, I'm still very young, etc.  Then she added, "Maybe she'll be like Maria Von Trapp and marry a rich Austrian captain and become the stepmother of his seven children!"  Then one of the other kids added, "And then have seven more of her own!"  One of the other kids said, "But you know, Mom, I think Ave would make a really good nun."  Then the oldest exclaimed, "But Ave's too much fun to be a nun!"

These kids crack me up! ;)

• 1 year later...

I was once asked by a five year old, who had walked all round me scrutinising me very carefully "Have you got ears?"

​That actually is one of the jokes I made up:

Q.What do nuns not have?

A.Ears!

sr.christinaosf

I think there are plenty of opportunities of fun as a sister.  This past weekend I was on a weekend with 40-50 high school and college students.  One of the other helpers and I were thinking seriously of short sheeting beds, but the people I looked to do it on had not made their beds; so that blew that opportunity for fun.  

It's not about all fun and games, but our new blog, Our Franciscan Fiat, does offer reflections on our life and aspects of our faith.  I'd invite you to check it out.  Maybe I should post an article with the proper instructions for short-sheeting.  

​The abbess of the Poor Clare Colettines in Wales was asked by one visiting schoolchild, "Do you have hair under there?" She replied, "No, feathers!" :P