An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beauty And Depression

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

Did you steal this from a Facebook chain letter?

Also if you thought the point of college was to "get a job" I think you missed the point of college.

No, I didn't. And I understand that learning should be the ideal of college, increasing your understanding of the world around you. However, these days college is the new high school diploma. Many if my siblings went to college and now have jobs in similar, but not the same jobs which they majored in. One should learn a trade, but there are only so many trade jobs.

Basilisa Marie

The "point" of college is making you an educated, well-rounded person with skills like critical thinking. 

But having a college degree, at least as I was growing up and entering college, was supposed to be an indicator that you had the the valuable natural resources that could be mined and molded into whatever an employer needed.  In this sense, it was your meal ticket to a job. It's not job training, in the traditional sense, but it was supposed to make you valuable.  My point is that this isn't the case - bachelors degrees are the new high school diplomas, you need grad school to stand out on the education front.  While it's nice that some people weren't "deceived" into thinking that a college degree would help you secure a good job, a whole lot of people were. Hence, disillusionment and apathy and all of that. 

There's no way in hell that a bunch of people would go five figure in debt just to learn things because they wanted to, for their own sake. That's what your public library is for. It was supposed to be an investment in your future. 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

PhuturePriest

The "point" of college is making you an educated, well-rounded person with skills like critical thinking. 

But having a college degree, at least as I was growing up and entering college, was supposed to be an indicator that you had the the valuable natural resources that could be mined and molded into whatever an employer needed.  In this sense, it was your meal ticket to a job. It's not job training, in the traditional sense, but it was supposed to make you valuable.  My point is that this isn't the case - bachelors degrees are the new high school diplomas, you need grad school to stand out on the education front.  While it's nice that some people weren't "deceived" into thinking that a college degree would help you secure a good job, a whole lot of people were. Hence, disillusionment and apathy and all of that. 

There's no way in hell that a bunch of people would go five figure in debt just to learn things because they wanted to, for their own sake. That's what your public library is for. It was supposed to be an investment in your future. 

College originally did not cost that much, which was why you were able to go there simply for leisure. Now, you have to major in something that will get you a job, and that job has to make a lot of money, because college is expensive and you have to justify the expense.

Can't tell whether it's good...or needs more explanation. Please explain.

it means i didn't even read it because you need to insert more paragraph breaks. some people have a hard time focusing on a huge chunk of text. 

So which is true, the stereotype of children forced to slave away their meaningless lives until their early and pointless deaths, or that the happiest people you know are the ones who started doing real work very young?  

You seem to want to have it both ways.

No, I'm indicating that in perspective, life *should* be much happier now becuase they were forced to work alot and people think that the school and work drudgery is what causes this meloncholoy.

100 years ago people had every right to be miserable based on diaries were often not as depressed as we are and not as whiny about life.  They saw the real joys in things.

As far as today....since I'm 30 not 130, child labor has long since been aboloished in my 1st world contry.  However, through loopholes in the law children as young as 11 can do things like paperoutes or other non-dangerous work and those people tend to be far happier than Johny Starbuck Drinker who never held a job until after art school.

Pope John Paul II's Laborem Excercens also helps shine light on this issue: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_14091981_laborem-exercens_en.html  Sometimes I remind myself while I am grinding away that work is not a punishment for sin but is part of our nature, how we were made.  Adam had a job even before he was exiled from the garden.  Of course we are not in Eden now and are tainted with greed, sloth, etc. This is a good read on this topic.