An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mortal Sin?

XIX

Okay so I was once by myself and did something that I absolutely knew I souldn't have done. To keep it short, I knew what I did was wrong, and I knew how contrary to God's law sexual sins are. I didn't even feel very tempted at the time, so I was wondering if I actually had full consent of will, even though I really didn't feel like myself at the time. The other thing is that it has been a struggle with me for a long time, and I was annoyed with myself almost immediately. so...

1) Could that have been a mortal sin, seeing as how the temptation wasn't too high?
2) If it is, would I still be in a state of mortal sin if I have confessed to a priest, but didn't say it was a mortal sin because I didn't think it was? Or am I okay as long as I repent? In other words, how would one overcome a mortal sin?

Sorry if this is a little vague. :unsure:

CCC #2352 "To form an equitable judgement about the subjects' moral responsiblility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety, or other psychological or social factors that lessen or even extenuate moral culpability." (In regards to masturbation)

You can see from the above that although masturbation is a "gravely disordered action" (ccc#2352) there are factors that impede the will. It's application to your situation is going to be something you must take to prayer.

I do not point this out to give anyone a license to sin but rather to put things in perspective. If you are struggling with this sin then I would recommend frequent confession to the same confessor and a daily dose of prayer that pleads for chastity and purity. Frequent confession will give you the grace and courage that you need to fight against this and it will assure you of God's unconditional love and mercy. No matter how many times you fall, He loves you with an everlasting love.

Peace,

Fr. Pontifex