An Old School Catholic Message Board

It Is Too Hard For Me?

KarenJoanna

I want to discern religious life but I have debts right now and cannot join. Besides that, I am also thinking about joining the Navy. I am 21 and still don't know what to do with my life. I dont even know if religious life is for me. It is so hard, i feel frustrated. any advice?

You haven't mentioned God in your post. 

Religious Life is primarily a call by Him, do you think He is calling you to the Navy or to RL? If you are thinking of RL how have you come to that point?

Try spending more time with Him, either in church, adoration, or in private prayer. If you listen, and He is calling, you will hear.

AuthorOfMyLife

Please don't feel like you're wasting your life because you are not sure what to do! I'm 26 and I'm still working on discovering what God wants me to do. Sometimes it takes a while. Don't be afraid! 

Maximillion is right that spending more time with God is a wonderful idea. You can also talk to people who know you, and ask them what they think you are suited to. Sometimes taking personality tests (myers-briggs, etc.) can help you understand your strengths and weaknesses and help you identify the kind of life you would be happiest living (this is important because God doesn't want you to be unhappy in your life).

Perhaps one of the best ways to discern religious life is to visit communities you are interested in. Even if you have debt you can still explore a little. And there are some places that can help with debt--the Dominicans of Summit, NJ, have highlighted a foundation that helps pay for debt for those discerning religious life. I can't remember the foundation's name, but they would know (or someone here may know).

God bless you, and merry Christmas!

The Labore Society

http://labouresociety.org/

may be able to provide assistance with debt. However, my understanding is that this is for those who have a definite offer from a community and intend entering there.

This is why, if you are being called, it might be good to contact some communities - the entry process in some cases can be quite prolonged as the community got to know you etc.

Spend some time in Adoration and if you could do a retreat (maybe with a community).  The quiet is a good way to listen to God and find out what He is asking of you. 

Anything we try to do on our own is going to be too difficult.  With God, anything goes. 

I was in the Navy for five years before leaving to study Theology and I'm now waiting to enter a Benedictine novitiate. If God wants you then those feelings won't go away!

Don't let your debts interfere too much with your discernment. if God wants you in religious life He will help you find a way to pay them off. I know one PMer who had a ton of debt, yet through hard work and prayer and many sacrifices she was able to pay it all off. For me God has shown me a slightly surprising way (to me) of having my debts paid off (a year long paid volunteer job with a grant for paying off educational loans).

As to your discernment spend time in prayer. But you can't discern something you don't know so contact a few communities. I found it helpful at first to look at websites of a few different communities (active, active contemplative, conteplative cloistered etc). If I found myself becoming more interested I would contact the Vocation Director of those communities and request more information. Things just kind of progressed from there. I have made a few visits with different communities and that helped me a lot.

I'll be praying for you!

Karenjoanna,

In discerning your vocation, always be cognizant of one thing: Trust in our Lord.

It may seem trite. Too often many of us say it reflexively with little or no thought. However, it is at the heart of every vocation. It is essential to what vocation means.

"Trust in our Lord" might be easy to say, but it is difficult to reach--at least it was (is?) for me. At the most basic level, it means that you are not alone in discerning your vocation. God is with you at every step. It is God, not you alone, who gives you the strength to withstand the vicissitudes and endure the challenges that, inevitably, will arise.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you more on how to do it. Others have already advised you well on key aspects and practices for any vocation. Note that all of their advice centers on trusting God. It may be that Trust, like Faith, is a gift fom God. Regardless, always remember to trust in our Lord.

I pray this helps you.

Your brother in Christ,
ClemensBruno

I don't have anything much to add to the above. Except one thing which I, myself, am relying upon. If God is calling you to do something, he will definitely give you the graces necessary to accomplish it.

Therefore, do not worry about discerning. Do not worry about religious life being difficult. If the Lord is calling you to do it, and you follow that calling with faith and trust, then He will make everything possible.

Julie de Sales

I know discernment can be hard. For me, it's mostly hard in the interior (my mind, my soul) than in the exterior. Maybe in the moments of frustration is difficult to see a good outcome and to trust in God, but what helped me was repeating in my heart "Jesus, I trust in you" over and over again, especially when difficulties arise. I hope it will help you too!