An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Website For Terre Haute Carmel!

OnlySunshine

Ouch - the browser title for the launch page says "Caremlite" Monastery! 

I noticed that too.  Someone was in a hurry and didn't check the spelling.  :blush:

yus.  I saw that too.  :oops:

I really like the changes, I would hope that someone would turn off that DANGED bell they have at the start... I have hated that for years.   Kept me out of the site for years.   Just me, I guess.

But I found the old one really hard to navigate, and I like what they have done now.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

If you shut off the sound on your computer you wouldn't hear it! :-)

Personally, I think flash pages went out a long time ago!

Nicely done and much more user friendly. The other was their first attempt and from the days when creating a website was still a work of art! If you think about it, websites have changed in their purpose in many ways in the past 15 years or so! I don't think we thought we'd have to change ours except maybe ever 10 years or so! :-(

Yup.  Totally agreed about the sound.  BUT if one has it turned on and doesn't expect it, WOW those bells are loud!  ;)

It is fascinating how much web pages -- and the internet itself -- has changed in 15 years!

I remember when one of our Secular Order novices said we should have a web page... and I asked him what that was!  He told me... and I said, well, I use those at work, but why would I ever want that for the Secular Order?  He insisted, and mocked us up a basic web page.   And put it up for us.  I was... DUBIOUS.  Very dubious.  It was about 1997!  But then we started getting... vocation inquiries!  LOTS of them!  They just.... surfed in!!!!!

I'd say at this point easily 2/3 of our candidates find us through the internet.

And I would be willing to bet it works EXACTLY the same way for the Nuns, Sisters, Brothers and Priests.

However... as one of our Phatmassers has been discovering... we do need to checkthe 'trap lines' to see if we are getting fish!!!! 

Yup.  Totally agreed about the sound.  BUT if one has it turned on and doesn't expect it, WOW those bells are loud!   ;)

It is fascinating how much web pages -- and the internet itself -- has changed in 15 years!

I remember when one of our Secular Order novices said we should have a web page... and I asked him what that was!  He told me... and I said, well, I use those at work, but why would I ever want that for the Secular Order?  He insisted, and mocked us up a basic web page.   And put it up for us.  I was... DUBIOUS.  Very dubious.  It was about 1997!  But then we started getting... vocation inquiries!  LOTS of them!  They just.... surfed in!!!!!

I'd say at this point easily 2/3 of our candidates find us through the internet.

And I would be willing to bet it works EXACTLY the same way for the Nuns, Sisters, Brothers and Priests.

However... as one of our Phatmassers has been discovering... we do need to checkthe 'trap lines' to see if we are getting fish!!!! 

:hehe2:

I remember the very first time I looked at that website.  I had the volume on my laptop turned WAY up because I had been listening to music through my speakers earlier in the day.  I didn't realize that it was set so loud.  I clicked on the "flash content" link and MAN!  That was LOUD!  It was kind of late at night and my parents had already gone to bed.  My mom woke up and walked in and was like, "What was that?!?"  I had to show her.  She told me it was extremely loud and I had to apologize!  :blush:

graciandelamadrededios

Lovely website.  Thanks for letting us know.

The Nuns no longer wears the day veil (tucked  under the scapular - see foundation photos of Terre Haute Carmel) and just the communion veil.  This is also observed in Port Tobacco Carmel.

Also, I am seeing a Nuns with an espousal ring on her finger - uncommon among Discalced Carmelite Nuns.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios