An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is New Years Day A Holy Day Of Obligation?

NotreDame

It's the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary -- one of the 6 Holy Days of Obligation in the United States. Whether or not the Solemnity is moved to Sunday is determined by the diocese. I'd check your parish bulletin. 

But this brings up a sore point with me.....

All the parishes in this are are making a BIG DEAL (and correctly so!) of insisting tht this is a HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION in our diocese.  Excellent.

Then they announce that they will be having vigil Mass (some of them at 4pm in the afternoon... when some of us are still working).... and others will be on their way to a party,......

and then say that on the Solemnity they will ONLY be having Mass at 9AM.

9AM on New Year's Day???!!!!!  

Now I will get there, but a lot of people... no way.  Not after a long night.   They MIGHT go later in the day, but a lot of the crowd will just... start the new year badly.

WHY not run some Masses at noon?  Or even at 5pm?   Sheesh...... feels like they are TRYING to not get people to make Mass on the Holy Day.  My husband and I just looked at each other.  And talked about it on the way home.  

It's bad enough they do this on Thanksgiving.... but on a Holy Day????

Sorry, will get off the rant box now.....

ahhh, ok.  It's NOT in this diocese (but it took me a bit to confirm that online.)  Some parishes (like the one I went to tonight) are still calling and celebrating it as one though.  

Thanks for the help!

Edited by NotreDame

But this brings up a sore point with me.....

All the parishes in this are are making a BIG DEAL (and correctly so!) of insisting tht this is a HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION in our diocese.  Excellent.

Then they announce that they will be having vigil Mass (some of them at 4pm in the afternoon... when some of us are still working).... and others will be on their way to a party,......

and then say that on the Solemnity they will ONLY be having Mass at 9AM.

9AM on New Year's Day???!!!!!  

Now I will get there, but a lot of people... no way.  Not after a long night.   They MIGHT go later in the day, but a lot of the crowd will just... start the new year badly.

WHY not run some Masses at noon?  Or even at 5pm?   Sheesh...... feels like they are TRYING to not get people to make Mass on the Holy Day.  My husband and I just looked at each other.  And talked about it on the way home.  

It's bad enough they do this on Thanksgiving.... but on a Holy Day????

Sorry, will get off the rant box now.....

Then I guess people will need to prioritize what is most important to them - a long night partying, or doing one's Catholic duty.

Are these all the same between Eastern and Roman?

No.  My parents do eastern rite holy days of obligation, I do the roman rite ones.  They aren't always the same. 

I agree, Norseman, but I also think it doesn't hurt if the parishes do their part by offering enough masses.  In this case, they are REMOVING two masses that are usually offered each day!  I understand getting rid of the 6:45 AM Mass... but I don't understand getting rid of the usual evening 5:45 Mass.

Somebody seems to think it makes sense to remove Masses whenever we have a national holiday... and that simply makes NO sense to me.  But that is just me.... but agreed on having to make God the priority.  Don't misunderstand me!!!!  :)

Is New Years Day a holy day of obligation?  I've heard conflicting reports.

If you're canonically Eastern, maybe not. If you fall under the Byzantine (Ruthenians) of Pittsburgh, then no.

No.  My parents do eastern rite holy days of obligation, I do the roman rite ones.  They aren't always the same. 

Umm... If you're canonically Eastern, you may still be bound to the Eastern ones. In that case, make sure you get to church January 6. Just a heads-up.

Umm... If you're canonically Eastern, you may still be bound to the Eastern ones. In that case, make sure you get to church January 6. Just a heads-up.

You sound like my Mom. :hehe2:

I agree, Norseman, but I also think it doesn't hurt if the parishes do their part by offering enough masses.  In this case, they are REMOVING two masses that are usually offered each day!  I understand getting rid of the 6:45 AM Mass... but I don't understand getting rid of the usual evening 5:45 Mass.

Somebody seems to think it makes sense to remove Masses whenever we have a national holiday... and that simply makes NO sense to me.  But that is just me.... but agreed on having to make God the priority.  Don't misunderstand me!!!!  :)

yeah we had this convorsation last year too That really threw me for a loop!  My parish has a Holy Day schedule.. but they don't use it for new years,  or new years eve and I didn't know it until it was too late.   (I was at a different parish the weekend before).  Doesn't make any sense to me either! not to follow your Holy Day schedule.. on a Holy Day.

And what a lot of places forget is that... people do have to work on these holydays and holidays!   MrAL works at a major car company at the SF Airport.  You can imagine what the holidays are like for him!   AND... if it weren't that he happens to have New Year's Eve & Day off (it's his SATURDAY & SUNDAY, how is THAT for irony!) there is NO way he would be able to do a 9AM mass... or a 5:30 Mass... because BOTH are snap dab during his work day.

And this for someone who REALLY does want to go! 

Grrrrrr!

Edited by AnneLine