An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Postulant For Sisters Of St. Rita!

OnlySunshine

I visited the website for the Sisters of St. Rita today and noticed that their website had been updated with some exciting news!  They welcomed a new postulant on Sept. 29th, 2013 in Germany - Mary Elizabeth - who will be joining the Sisters in Racine, WI when her initial formation of postulancy and novitiate is complete.  How wonderful that this community gained a much-needed vocation!

http://www.sistersofstrita.org/content/meet-our-new-postulant-mary-elizabeth

She is a very sweet lady!!! I am really really happy for her!! Mary Elizabeth is a wonderful fit for this community, who I know adore her and she them! Many prayers sent her way!!

When I was in contact with this community, Sr. Angelica told me that they were expecting a new postulant to enter but she had not made application yet so nothing was official.  It's wonderful to see the postulant come to fruition and the community gain another member.  The work they do is so important and necessary that they really need more than 2 permanent Sisters in Racine, WI.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

According to their website, Mary Elizabeth was clothed as a novice VERY recently and her religious name is Sr. Jana Maria!  She is currently living in Wuerzburg, Germany at the Motherhouse but will be visiting Racine, WI with the Novice Mistress in February for about a month.  Very exciting news!

http://www.sistersofstrita.org/

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Wow!  That must be the shortest postulancy on record.  She entered Sept. 29, 2013. 

The formation process includes a live-in or affiliateship for 3 to 4 months, according to their website.  Admittedly, it does not appear that the postulancy lasted as long as their formation states (4 months, I think) but postulancy is not required in formation by Canon Law, if I'm not mistaken (if I am, please correct me).  Look at the Servants of the Lord and Virgin of Matara.  I've heard of their postulancy only lasting a few weeks to a month at best.

Totally Franciscan

Thanks, Mater.  It is just that I have never heard of a postulancy less than 9 months (with 3 months live in at first).  Well, I learn something new on Phatmass every day!

Mary Elizabeth was on her Second visit (two week) with the sister community in Racine this time last year! So I imagine, her "live in" time was imitated sometime in the Summer months of 2013.
I was also unaware, of the cannon law regarding postulancy!

I don't really get why there are such long postulancies for women, but not men. Dominican men are not postulants for very long, at all, but the women are postulants for 6-9 months. I think that's a good length of time. A year just seems SO excessive.

The formation process includes a live-in or affiliateship for 3 to 4 months, according to their website.  Admittedly, it does not appear that the postulancy lasted as long as their formation states (4 months, I think) but postulancy is not required in formation by Canon Law, if I'm not mistaken (if I am, please correct me).  Look at the Servants of the Lord and Virgin of Matara.  I've heard of their postulancy only lasting a few weeks to a month at best.

Our very own TeresaBenedicta was only a postulant with the SSVM for about a month before she became a novice.

Admittedly she was living in with a convent for a few months before that in order to pay down debts -- but she'd be the first to tell you that wasn't the same as having entered.  And even if you count that time I think it was less than six months total.

This may be a good idea or a bad idea or maybe it varies based on the person but it does seem to be allowed.

Just wanted to let you all know of the correct information about the Sisters of St. Rita :)

Mary Elizabeth is still a postulant for the Sisters in Racine, WI.

They had a postulant in Germany at the Motherhouse become a novice...and they are coming from the Motherhouse in Germany to stay for a month.

Mary Elizabeth will probably become a novice in a couple of months! She is in Racine currently.

God Bless,

CorJesu