An Old School Catholic Message Board

Byzantine Nuns In Ohio

DameAgnes

Mary+Immaculate<3

Haha! Their kitchen floor tile is the same as mine. I know you're all gonna wanna say "cool story bro," but what the heck! XD

So glad/happy to see Byzantine monasticism for women in the U.S. true to the Byzantine heritage and monastic observance and in communion with the Bishop of Rome.  Looks as though this community has solid beginnings - may they prosper!  Thanks for posting....

I find it interesting that they spent three months with Orthodox nuns (and their goats) to learn the ways of eastern monasticism.

They also appear to have a --for want of a better word-- reasonable horarium, with allowance for exercise (!), and saying their first prayers at 6:15 AM, which is late by monastic standards!

Also their strong emphasis on joy is very attractive. I love the jello dessert!

I was the altar boy for their new bishop Burnett for years.  In fact, I even went to his ordination when I was a kid.  Hadn't seen a picture of him in years until I saw their blog.

They seem very cheerful

They are.

So cool! And they aren't that far from where I will be living this year, I might have to go visit!

Yes. You will.

Also their strong emphasis on joy is very attractive. I love the jello dessert!

Mother is an EXCELLENT cook.

I would love to know what they learned about eastern monasticism from Orthodox goats! 

Only rasophore and above-ranked nuns are allowed to know that.

There's also a lovely Marian shrine across the street from them. Great place to camp.

Yes,the shrine is to Our Lady of Mariapoch which is a famous hungarian shrine to Our Lady.The Social Mission Sisters from Hungary take care of the shrine or used to.It's good to see more byzantine communities in the US. My mother's relatives belong to the Hungarian Byzantine rite up in Buffalo.

Yes,the shrine is to Our Lady of Mariapoch which is a famous hungarian shrine to Our Lady.The Social Mission Sisters from Hungary take care of the shrine or used to.It's good to see more byzantine communities in the US. My mother's relatives belong to the Hungarian Byzantine rite up in Buffalo.

I don't think that's so anymore.

Only after I read the article did I realize that the cooking in question was Sr. Cecilia's! Looks very tasty. I want one.

I knew Mother when she belonged to another order and she was a firecracker! So glad to see a young, vibrant Eastern community.