An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pedophile Priest Killed In Prison

Dave

There were a few people in the APA trying to get pedophelia removed as a mental disorder, in part because the APA's definition of mental illness is moronically vague, but also to keep these criminals from copping an insanity plea.

stpius ("peep"), that is an honest and tragic letter.

Isn't it? And just think of all the people out there who feel the same way! I just wish that some people in the church would be as compelled to be as honest.

I thought it was interesting to see the differences or rather....the similarities in the diversity and breadth of discussion. The only thing I noticed was that people were quick to point out what was wrong with the 'other' because the 'us' thought they were absolutely right.

Truth vs. Truth

**excuse me...not 'the only thing' I noticed....I just noticed it** :)

Edited by FreeSoul

Is expressing rage and devistation at being abused incompatible with forgiving one's tormentor?

Or feeling great sadness for the state of one's tormentor's soul?

I hardly think so. In fact it's a part of the process imo, you can't forgive without acknowledging the hurt.

I wouldn't feel sorry for that persons' soul, not because I feel no pity, but because I need to have faith that they were transformed. :rolleyes:

cmotherofpirl

Why do you need to have faith they were transformed?

The sad fact is not all everyone makes it to heaven or purgatory. Hell does not have a zero populaion.

• 13 years later...
47 minutes ago, Josh said:

Winchester is the truth.

I like that Winchester had said that he will pray for that priest's soul. I wonder if he would say that again today, 14 years later.

I remember this thread. At the time I was a practicing Catholic, knew a number of priests from childhood as well as socially since my family was / is very involved in the Church.  I used to think this was an extraordinarily rare occurrence.  I've never been abused.  Ever.  I didn't comment at the time because I felt the abuse stories were unfairly getting too much attention   I do know now, that priests and nuns do this stuff much more often than I considered  possible in a nightmare.   And even now, its very routine to cover up and obfuscate.  My guess is 25%+ priests have less moral commitment than the average poster here on PM. My personal experiences (in multiple parishes and parochial schools) is a greater percentage are worse, but I'm grading on a curve to be charitable because most are pretty decent humans.