An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gift Ideas For Religious.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

So I was visiting the convent today and I found out that one of the Sisters (the Vocations Director, who I'm quite friendly with) had her birthday today. I'll be back again next week and wanted to get her a gift.

I did a little brainstorming - I'd really like to get her something personal and just for her, but I'm not sure what would be best. Any tips?

TheLordsSouljah

Have a Mass offered especially for them and give them Mass offering card to tie it all up? I've given them for priests before... they are wonderful when a person doesn't need a physical item.

As from the collection in my room (and to the storage box on the attic...) I can only advise not to give to many "religious" gifts. There is a limit of how many stone angels anybody can have.

I understand your desire to give something personal and that is only for her, but maybe it gives her also joy to share? I am always happy to receive sweets or something else (candles, a nice shower gel or a bubble bath :) ) that I can share with others.

Flowers are also always an idea. This is also something that can be shared with others.

It's kind of hard to give a personal gift to someone who is Vowed to poverty and per se a lack of personal possessions.

There is a list/thread on VS dedicated to gifts for those in the Sisterhood but I am not savvy enough to know how to find it or link it. Perhaps someone more geeky than me can do so.

Ta.

A spiritual bouquet for her and some item of food that can be shared with the whole community would be a good idea, I think. If everybody bought them personal things then they would have no room to move in their cells, so think of something that's going to be nice and memorable but not take up much space. ;)

One of my friends loves penguins and I recently paid to 'adopt' a penguin in her name at a conservation centre. Gifts of that sort can also be nice - a lot of major humanitarian charities (Oxfam, etc.) offer them, and they range in price.

Edited by beatitude

Spem in alium

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I do think she would like to share anything she received with her community, so I'll try and get something that will give her the option. :)

Spem in alium

Sorry, just wanted to post this.  Is the VD one of the drivers in her community?  If so, how about this for the community vehicle:    http://www.cafepress.com/+keep_calm_and_pray_on_aluminum_license_plate,677782920   !   :pray:  

Haha! Oh I think I'm about to die laughing! That is so fitting! And yes, she is one of the drivers  :hehe2:

If she's a driver, how about a gasoline gift card (if you know what brand(s) are near her community)?  Given gas prices these days, I'm sure that would be most appreciated.  Or a certificate for a free oil change?  Or both?  Not romantic, but VERY practical.  

When my former spiritual director moved a couple of hours away, we continued to meet once a month for awhile at a place halfway between us. That Christmas, I gave her a gas gift card, because it was not cheap for her to do this.  She said it was one of the most welcome and thoughtful gifts she got that year.

Spem in alium

Thanks all. I got her candles (though a gift card for petrol would have been a good one too!). I'm also organising a gift basket to take with me on the weekend.