An Old School Catholic Message Board

Has Anyone Visited...?

beccasmiles89

Mater, what is "Ghost in the Graveyard?"  :hehe2:

It's an outside game where someone is tagged as the ghost and there is a safe zone.  If they hide and are tagged after they are found, you're now the ghost but, if you make it to the safe zone, the game continues.  I didn't like the game and neither does my friend but she entered there!  LOL!

Here's how to play:

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/sensing_games/ghost_graveyard.htm

In terms of the music - I wouldn't know recto tono from simplified Gregorian from cappellini alla bolognese. BUT, this link contains three videos from the Carmel, and two of them have music.

The first one is scenes from a first vows ceremony. The first 4 minutes of music are pop stuff right off the radio. But from minute 4:00 to 5:11 you can hear the nuns singing.

The second one is a homily - no music.

The third one is mostly talk, but it does have some singing in it.

Maybe you can figure out if they're singing simplified Gregorian recto tono alla bolognese - or not.

brandelynmarie

Simplified Gregorian recto tono alla bolognese! Rotfl Thanks Luigi! :detective:

Edited by brandelynmarie

faithfulflockstar

I have visited the Summit Dominicans! It was a great experience although I don't feel called there. I didn't really know what kind of questions to ask since I felt that I wasn't called to cloistered life early on, but the nuns were really great when it came to not knowing the words to say.

• 2 weeks later...
beccasmiles89

Oh my goodness, I've been away for awhile! Sorry about that...it's been a busy couple of weeks!

Taking into account this retreat was over 5 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised that things have changed.  I remember spending a lot of time with the Sisters, especially the last night since we had dinner in the community's private garden.  We played "Ghost in the Graveyard."  The retreatants took a tour of the elderly home and childcare center.  I saw neither of these because I stayed in my room most of the time due to being ill.  Sr. Mary Joseph, the Provincial Superior took the retreatants to the St. Louis Cathedral.  Auxiliary Bishop Ed Rice (then Monsignor) came and gave a conference on vocation discernment.  Most of our meals were taken in the dining room adjacent to the elderly home's dining room.  We had Confession on Saturday (they have it every 2 weeks with their Chaplain).  The Masses I was able to attend were beautiful.  I was there during the Assumption of the Virgin Mary but I had to miss Mass, unfortunately. 

I finally started feeling better at the end of the retreat and, when everyone left (including my friend), I stayed one extra night because of reduced airfare.  The Sisters allowed me to pray with them in their private oratory behind the chapel which was INCREDIBLE!  It was so beautiful being with them.  You usually don't go back there unless you have entered but I was the only retreatant left so they didn't want me to have to pray the Divine Office on my own on in the public part of the Chapel in the dark.  :)

I hope this answers your question.  If not, please let me know if you would like any specifics. 

Oh thank you so much!! This sounds wonderful! I think I mentioned in an earlier post that this will be my first discernment retreat, and I'll also be a new Catholic. I'm sure I'll be nervous, but this answers a lot of my questions about what to expect. Thank you!!

I have visited the Summit Dominicans! It was a great experience although I don't feel called there. I didn't really know what kind of questions to ask since I felt that I wasn't called to cloistered life early on, but the nuns were really great when it came to not knowing the words to say.

I've only heard wonderful things about the Summit Dominicans! I'm trying to write down questions as I think of them for when I visit the sisters; otherwise, I know I'd be sitting there not knowing what to say!

My friend is a postulant with the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus in St Louis. She really loves the blend of contemplative and apostolic in their life. I went to Mass there with her once before she entered and it was lovely!

My friend is a postulant with the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus in St Louis. She really loves the blend of contemplative and apostolic in their life. I went to Mass there with her once before she entered and it was lovely!

You probably saw my friend then before she went back into seclusion!  She is the 2nd year novice (white veil all the way!).  She is an absolute sweetheart.  I know she was so excited to get two more novices in the convent so she wouldn't be on her own anymore.  She reentered in June 2012 with a friend but the friend discerned it wasn't for her and left.  So, for about a year, she was on her own until the new novices were invested.  :)

• 7 months later...