An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Much To Discuss Previous Discernment Experience With New Community

SilentJoy

Maybe this is a question that I will guess the answer to as the discussion progresses, but...

I'm currently discerning with Monastery A (OCD 1991) that I had visited a year ago, but during that year I began the application process to Monastery B (OCD 1990). I was growing increasingly uneasy about the possibility of being accepted by Monastery B, and with a nudge from Monastery A* (they contacted me before Christmas, wanted to know how things were, etc.), I withdrew my application.

Since Monastery A has already had some involvement in my discernment with the other community, how much is appropriate to discuss with them regarding what I liked or disliked in the other community, or what was difficult in my relationship with Monastery B? I'm not sure what will come up, but I've been asked to come for a live-in and that might mean that they will want to know a lot more about me.

*They didn't tell me to do it, they just suggested that it was allowed and might be wise, given the lack of peace that I had about it.

I would share what feels appropriate at the given time. The obviously know that you didn't feel comfortable with/weren't at peace with certain things so if they have something similar they might ask you about that. In that case it would be good to say "I wasn't comfortable with x element of this practice but here ..."

Thanks!

I'm not even sure if they will ask about "what went wrong" or if they are only thinking that I needed more time to discern and explore.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I think it should just be a natural process, if a question is asked that you feel comfortable answering then answer it. As well as remember there are internal and external forums in all aspects of life. You can obviously share more with someone assigned as a Spiritual Director especially if it is someone from the community.