An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Were The Sisters At The Ewtn Mass This Morning?

Teresita

Hello everyone! Happy upcoming Feast of St. Agnes! At the Mass this morning on EWTN, there were several sisters present, apparently both novices and professed (from the color of the veils). Does anyone know which order they belong to and if they have a website? Their habit is similar to that of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in style and outline, but the veil (I assume for the professed), the cape and scapular are brown; the rest of the habit is white. Thanks in advance and God bless!

Totally Franciscan

For some odd reason, they are at the EWTN Mass very often, sometimes just a few, but other times about a dozen.  I don't see any correlation with their presence at Mass and perhaps a taping of a show later in the morning.  Does anyone know why they attend this Mass?

For some odd reason, they are at the EWTN Mass very often, sometimes just a few, but other times about a dozen.  I don't see any correlation with their presence at Mass and perhaps a taping of a show later in the morning.  Does anyone know why they attend this Mass?

Sometimes, Sisters either opt to or are "forced" through different circumstances to attend Mass in a different location besides their convent.  I remember when I was on retreat with the CFR Sisters in New York and they attended a Mass at a Church in a Hispanic community.  It was explained to me that they do this in order to spend time in the community getting to know the people in their diocese.  They also do it sometimes when a Friar is unavailable to say Mass for them.  Maybe the SsEW are doing something similar?

Perhaps it has something to do with the retreats they provide? As if they need to be in the kitchen preparing the next meal while the retreatants are at mass so they would miss it if they didn't go to the ewtn chapel? When I visited them they took me to that chapel and it's just right down the road from their convent so it's not an inconvenience.

Let's see...

ETERNAL WORD Television Network (EWTN)...   Sisters Servants of the ETERNAL WORD... could there be some sort of, oh I don't know - admiration on the part of the Sisters for the work of the Network? So maybe they go to Mass there whenever they can? Because even though they're separate entities, they share certain elements of charism and ministry?

brandelynmarie

Luigi, good eye ;) ! The SSEW started out affiliated with OLAM & were to act as externs & interact with the public, but at one point the superior of the SSEW felt their community was being called into a different direction & they became independent...

Luigi, good eye ;) ! The SSEW started out affiliated with OLAM & were to act as externs & interact with the public, but at one point the superior of the SSEW felt their community was being called into a different direction & they became independent...

I thought they used to be affiliated. Isn't there a men's order affiliated with EWTN, too? Were the SSEW the parallel women's branch?

Yes, there is a men's branch that has remained connected (I'm not sure what the proper term for their particular connection is) - Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (MFVA). They are frequently the priests who say Mass for EWTN as well as at the Shrine.