An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

To be a true blue Aussie, you have to be able to laugh at yourself.  Above is an Aussie comedian making fun of his own identity.  The series is called SUPERWOG.

“'Oh God, Who cares for all, let the whole of humanity who have one origin from you, form one family, without violence, without absurd wars and with brotherly spirit, live united in Peace.  Amen

israel-gaza-1-gty-gmh-231011_16970267064

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/what-to-know-as-conflict-erupts-between-israel-and-hamas-after-deadly-attack-retaliation

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuF1FZeS2snrZaq8ONPjl

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2020/10/17/catholic-spirituality-an-essay-by-dr-thomas-howard/

CATHOLIC SPIRITUALITY, AN ESSAY BY DR THOMAS HOWARD.

To be human at all is to be deeply rooted in tradition. We would all agree that there are bad traditions and good traditions: suttee in India, I suppose, and the shackling of slaves would be bad traditions, whereas taking off one’s hat in a church and standing up when a woman comes into the room would be good traditions. To say that something is traditional leaves open the question as to whether it ought to be changed. If it is frivolous, or brutish, or misbegotten, then we would all agree that change is indicated.

Edited by BarbTherese

20231013081056_f2fb559d8765054f579763b2c

We Wrestle

Hamas, the militant Islamist group that governs the Palestinian-controlled territory of Gaza, unleashed against unsuspecting people in Israel?

This is the question that Pope Francis and other Church leaders in the Holy Land, the U.S. and elsewhere in the world are now grappling to address in the wake of the horrific surprise attack. 

Jesus wept over Jerusalem because of rejection and the result.  I think He is weeping again today  as, in the main, we have rejected Him and the result is becoming apparent.  In His Life here on earth, He asks "When I return shall I find Faith on the earth". Luke Ch18

We pray for Israel 

"Where two or more are gathered in My Name, there I Am in the midst of them".  Matthew Ch18

One-Million-Children-Rosary-1.jpg

A great way we can gather together in prayer, especially at this time of war in Ukraine and now Israel, is on @Didacus thread praying The Rosary :

Portrait-St-Teresa-of-Avila.jpg

ST TERESA OF AVILA (Feast: 15th October)

As a woman, Teresa stood on her own two feet, even in the man’s world of her time. She was “her own woman,” entering the Carmelites despite strong opposition from her father. She is a person wrapped not so much in silence as in mystery.

Beautiful, talented, outgoing, adaptable, affectionate, courageous, enthusiastic, she was totally human. Like Jesus, she was a mystery of paradoxes: wise, yet practical; intelligent, yet much in tune with her experience; a mystic, yet an energetic reformer; a holy woman, a womanly woman. https://www.franciscanmedia.org/saint-of-the-day/saint-teresa-of-avila/

PRAYER FOR PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST

God of Mercy and Compassion, of Peace and Reconciliation, pour your Power on all Your children in the Middle East: Jews, Muslims and Christians, Palestinians and Israelis.   Let hatred be turned into Love, fear to trust, despair to Hope, oppression to freedom that violent encounters may be replaced by loving embraces and that Justice may be experienced by all.  AMEN                                                                              

angry-cartoon-priest.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k

Elderly priest has a much younger newly ordained priest as his assistant.

The young priest is trying to organise an Italian wedding (often very rowdy) and they are asking that the reception be held in a location not far from The Church.  The only place the younger priest can think of is the parish hall, which is divided from The Church proper by a folding screen.  He asks the older priest, his boss, if the reception could be held in the hall.  The older priest explodes:

"'NO IT MAY NOT BE HELD IN THE HALL !"

Young priest:  Why not, Father?

Older priest: Because Italian weddings are often much too rowdy!"

Young priest: Cmon Father, Jesus went to a wedding feast in Cana.

Older priest: Indeed he did, Father.  But THE BLESSED SACRAMENT DID NOT!              rotfl

(i AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD THE ABOVE FROM A PREVIOUS PARISH PRIEST)

“Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness!” (Psalm 100)