An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

FREE ONLINE COURSES YALE UNIVERSITY

My Carmelite prioress sent me an email that Yale University has free online courses.  So I immediately got on to Yale to investigate.  There is a fascinating array of courses: http://oyc.yale.edu/courses

These courses might be helpful to those who are house bound for some reason as well as others.

RAIN, GARDEN BARK & SVP BADGE DAY

Heaps of rain here last night, very heavy rain and winds.  I got up through the night to check on the bark hoping heavy rain had not carried bark on to my neighbour's drive and into our common area.  Deo Gratius, there was very little indeed easy to sweep off when bark dries out a bit.  This morning earlier had another check and it is the same.  I am very grateful.

Plumber called yesterday and thankfully I had taken videos of the mess the rain carrying bark created (Thursday night 8 Sept.16).  The result is that he is putting in a request for a sump in my backyard (I am a government housing tenant).  If they will do this, it will be a relatively small matter once the sunshine spring weather settles in for my brothers to do something or other out the front to stop the bark wandering onto both my and my neighbour's front common ground.

The plumber was quite correct.  The problem I did have with the seriously flowing rain which carried bark everywhere was "freak weather". Deo Gratius.

One of my brothers called today for coffee and said to put it all out of my mind as he and my other brother (overseas just now) will fix it all up for me, if the government housing authority will not help.  My foster son will, I know, act as quite willing labour assistance if needed.

I am very grateful that my brothers and sons are consistent faithful and loyal channels of God's Goodness and Care.  Amen.

Friday I will be on duty at a local shopping centre in the morning for a St Vinnies Badge Day.  Checked the weather forecast (SA Bureau of Meteorology) and it looks like no rain and sunshine.  Deo Gratius again.

PRIVATE VOWS

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/132845-home-mass-private-vows/

CHANNELS OF GOD'S GOODNESS

Goodness whether minor or major has God as Alpha and Omega - The Beginning and The End.

My concept is that all and any goodness has God for it's Origin and we are a channel only ideally for His Goodness to enter His world (in many instances).  God is the Omega or The End when we give all glory and thanksgiving to God for goodness, whether He has channelled it through oneself, or through others.  Wherever there is goodness it is for God's Glory and to Him we give thanks as Alpha, The Origin, and certainly giving thanks for the channel as well through which that goodness has become visible in His world through someone's free will assenting to goodness.

God never forces us -  and so without our free will assenting to His Goodness? 

I wrote a poem yonks ago and it ran something like:

"He chose us to be His gates into His world, and if I close those gates?"

PRIVATE VOWS

A FRUIT OF CHARITY

Daily Reflection St Vincent de Paul Society

“Charity is the cement that unites communities to God and individuals to each other, so that he who contributes to the union of hearts in a community binds it indissolubly to God.” – St. Vincent de Paul

PRIVATE VOWS

UNEASY, ALONE - TURN TO MARY OUR MOTHER

Pope Francis celebrates Mass in Santa Marta

(Click on icon next to "Reveal hidden text")

According to Vatican Radio, the Pontiff gave this advice during his daily morning Mass, on the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, at Casa Santa Marta, as he stressed that in a “world that suffers the crisis of a great orphanhood,” we have a Mother that accompanies and defends us.

Today’s Gospel, the Jesuit Pope stressed, brings us to Calvary, when all the Lord’s disciples fled, except for St. John and a few women.

As Mary, Mother of Jesus, is at the foot of the Cross, Francis observes, “Everyone is looking at her, saying, ‘That’s the mother of this delinquent! That is the mother of this subversive!’”

Never Denies

“And Mary heard these things. She suffered terrible humiliation. And she also heard the dignitaries, even some priests, whom she respected, because they were priests, saying “You who are so good, come down! Come down!” With her Son, naked, there on the Cross. And Mary had such great suffering, but she didn’t go away. She didn’t deny her Son! He was her flesh.”

The Argentine Pontiff recalled the poor women, who waited in Buenos Aires, to visit prisoners in the jails.

“They were moms. But they were not ashamed: their flesh was there inside. And these women suffered not only the shame of being there – “Look at her! What did her son do?” — but they also suffer the ugly humiliation of the searches they had to undergo before entering. But they were mothers, and they went to find their own flesh. And so it was with Mary: she was there, with her Son, with that very great suffering.”

Not to Be Left Orphans

Jesus, the Pope said, has promised not to leave us orphans, and on the Cross he gives us His Mother as our Mother, who cares for and defends us.

“We Christians have a Mother, Jesus’ [Mother]; we have a Father, Jesus’ [Father]. We are not orphans! And she gives birth to us in that moment with such great sorrow: She is truly a martyr. With a pierced heart, she accepts giving birth to all of us in that moment of sorrow. And from that moment she becomes our Mother, from that moment she is our Mother, the one who takes care of us and is not ashamed of us: she defends us.”

Francis recalled how the mystics of the early centuries counsel us to take refuge under the mantle of the Mother of God in moments of spiritual turbulence: “The devil can’t enter there.” Under her protection, we are safe, he underscored.

“In a world we could call an orphan, in this world that suffers the crisis” of a great experience of being orphaned,” Francis said, “perhaps our help lies in saying ‘Look to your Mother!’”

“We have a mother “who defends us, teaches us, accompanies us; who is not ashamed of our sins. She is not ashamed, because she is our Mother,” Pope Francis concluded, praying, “May the Holy Spirit, this friend, this companion along the way, this Paraclete or advocate Whom the Lord has sent make us understand this very great mystery of The Maternity of Mary"

POWER TO SIN CAN INCREASE MERIT

Daily Reflection St Vincent de Paul Society

15th September 2016

(Click on icon next to "Reveal hidden contents" to read text)

The power to sin greatly increases our merit, if we abstain from offending God.” – St. Louise de Marillac

PRIVATE VOWS

Edited by BarbaraTherese

MY LITTLE BIRD PAL

I had put a thread into Prayer Forum asking for prayers for a little bird I had grown very fond of in my side yard.  He is a just out of the baby stage but cannot fly.  Just coming in dusk last night I went outside to check and since I could not see him anywhere, I presumed he had flown off and had learnt to fly.  I went back to the Prayer Forum and put in a thread to thank those who prayed or would have prayed.

Just went outside again and low and behold, my little pal is still there and still unable to fly.  When he first appeared, I rang Fauna rescue who said not to worry that sometimes it can take days before a little bird learns to fly and most often they do not fly off from the nest, but from the ground. Adult birds do fly down now and then and check on him and Fauna Rescue said this is a sign he is ok, just still a learner in the flying department.  I can keep my little dog away from him without problems, but my cat is presenting a problem while to date, I have been able to catch her before she goes to the side where "Little One" is (I'll call him that - about time he got a name from me).  My cat is so clever and so quick, if I open a door to the outside, she is out as quick as a flash.

I don't know where he must have hid last night and there are not many places to hide at all and I thought I had checked them all.  He is still there in my side yard.

If you read this post, please spare a prayer for him that he will learn to fly and soon.  I am asking The Lord to accept those who prayed in the Prayer Forum, or who would have prayed, to be ongoing prayers for Little One until, finally, he flies off (I am not returning to the Prayer Forum for Little One)........and oh how I would love to witness it after watching him trying to learn the art.  He keeps trying to flap his wings fully, but never quite gets there.  But he does strut around my side yard quite happily - and once let me go right up to him and stroke him very gently. I wanted to get close to ensure he was not hurt.  Apparently touching even a baby bird does not mean that the mother will reject it.  That is MYTH

Please fly away Little One and soon!  Dear Lord please hear our prayers.

TODAY'S SMILE - (THE VOLUNTEER COMEDIAN)

A retired man, who volunteers to entertain patients in nursing homes and hospitals, went to Walton hospital in Liverpool and took his portable keyboard along. He told some jokes and sang some funny songs at patients' bedsides. 

When he finished he said in farewell, "I hope you all get better." 

One elderly gentleman replied, "I hope you get better too."
Edited by BarbaraTherese

FEELING SUFFERING WITH LOVE

"We can feel the cross and love it at the same time". (Mary MacKillop "The Little Brown Book" P114)

Comment: It is by facing difficulties of all kinds major and minor - accepted lovingly for Love of God that we can meet Jesus walking with us, who walks with all always and whose Love of all never changes -  whether one is clean or dirty.

Private Vows

Edited by BarbaraTherese

GOD'S PROVIDENCE & HIS STRENGTH

(FAMVIN) St Vincent de Paul Society

17th September 2016

God’s providence will never fail us as long as we do not fail in His service (IV:284).

“May God remain forever in your heart and give you the strength necessary for every trial.” – St. Vincent de Paul

CHATTING AWAY

At Vigil Mass last Saturday, our pastoral associate (religious sister) sat beside me to talk.  We had a good not short exchange and I gave her my 'contact card' (business card size) with all my contact details.  She had been under the impression I was a long standing parishioner, I corrected that.  My contact details are in case I could help or assist in any way or any other reason - and she could get them from parish records anyway.  I wanted to underscore my availability and willingness.  She is such a lovely religious - dedicated, warm, friendly and very sincere.  I didn't tell her about my private vows.  It was a select company invited to my Home Mass and I am saying nothing to anyone further than those re my private vows.  Our pp of course knows and here on Phatmass and just recently Catholic Answers too (in my signature on CA, same as I sometimes use here on Phatmass).  I only came 'out of the closet' as it were when I was given a computer, discovered the internet and Catholic Forums and there was much opposition to private vows as a vocation in a thread I had wandered into initially as a lurker.  I decided it was my time to join and speak up on the Catholic internet highway - and truth is I soon realized, one cannot probably get a wider knowledge and information base, include spread of information, than the net. C'est la vie.  I had stayed 'in the closet' for many years previously for my own good reasons - but did decide there was a more important reason at hand.  My reasoning is too that if necessary The Lord will make whatever known to whomsoever He might decide, He doesn't need me pushing things along of necessity and that is a consistent default position of mine.

" Make the way known to me, wherein I should walk, for I have lifted up my soul to You" Psalm 143 Douay Rheims Translation

I do hope our whole parish realizes just how blest we are in our parish priest and pastoral associate.  Our pp is having major surgery soon and I have put in a prayer request in to the Prayer Forum as well as with our Carmelite nuns here.

My little bird:  Well, since last Friday I saw him fly about four inches off the ground.  It did remind me of a duck taking off, although of course he or she is not a duck.  It is a baby magpie.   This morning, as I sat under the pergola watching him through the shade cloth, off he took again and this time about 8 inches I reckon. But in both cases,4 and 8 inches, it was a very short flight indeed.  But Little One got there....just! And so he or she is progressing.  I saw something rather strange too yesterday.  An adult magpie flew down to Little One and then he or she took off in flight, but not high enough and banged against my fence and fell back to the ground - immediately after, he or she took off into the skies and trees overhanging my fence line.  I did wonder whether the adult had banged against the fence in the process of teaching Little One you have to get high, or was it a genuine accident.:idontknow: .............although I am inclined to think probably it just might have been a genuine accident but not one I've ever seen before.

I do go out every morning asap to check on Little One.  Neighbourhood cats jumping over my fence at night are always my concern with Little One not yet able to fly away into the skies and his rightful home.  Last night just before nightfall and the cold began it's path, I went out to check on Little One (I'll call him a he) but couldn't find him.  I went into the garage and on my extension cord wound up on the ground, there he was sitting in it like a nest.  Such a beautiful sight!

I so wish I could take some pictures, even videos; however, my phone with camera tells me that I have used up my space.  I can't do anything about it until my brother is able to call and take me to Optus to see what can be done.  I have tried deleting pics and videos, but it still seems jammed or whatever.

Edit:  Just saw an adult bird fly down and feed Little One.  First time I have seen this.  I rather wish I could tag Little One somehow so I can know when he flies away and becomes an adult if he ever does fly back and say hello.  Oh how I would love that.  Dear Lord, please keep him safe.  Our Lady of Mercy please pray for him.  Amen.

Well, I have missed Afternoon Prayer because I didn't have my mobile alarm on and completely immersed in posting on Pham.  I am putting the alarm on for Evening and Night Prayer however.  I am very grateful, very truly words fail me, for Phatmass and the tolerance and acceptance I have been shown, a channel of and reflecting the tolerance and acceptance of The Lord Himself.  Deo Gratius.  I keep waiting for the plug to be pulled and I would not query it............I don't think.

I have something else I do want to post on an entirely different subject but it can wait for later........as a memory jog for me for later, about my niece and I, and our illnesses.

PRIVATE VOWS

VOCATION OF THE LAITY - AN OFFICE OF THE CHURCH

The following document has been published by Ignatius Press.com, which has an excellent review on Catholic Culture here

I thought that the following document was a good summary of the call and vocation to The Laity.  We have a very specific and vital vocation, mission and apostolate (office) in The Church, a call and vocation directly gifted to us at Baptism by The Holy Spirit.  (The article does include final sections on "Discernment" and also "Formation")

"Essential Role of The Laity"

Excerpt: "Many of the common understandings of laity are mistaken because they are often defined by what we are not. This is misguided because it is an entirely negative definition and focuses strictly on what laypeople arenot. They aren’t priests. They aren’t religious. Therefore many assume they don’t have a vocation, that they don’t have a mission.

The Church defines laity by what we are:

• sharers in Christ’s office of priest, prophet, and king,

• holders of an important vocation, and

• critical participants in fulfilling the mission of the Church.

In short, the lay vocation is an office, not a vacuum. Because of this, it is a huge mistake to consider that only those called to religious or clerical life have a vocation.

Laity’s mission and vocation is derived from our Baptism.

It is critical to realize that, according to the Church itself, our vocation and mission as laypeople derives from our Baptism and is strengthened through Confirmation. In other words, our place and work in the body of Christ is given to us directly, by the Holy Spirit, not indirectly through the ordained office.

“[The laity] are assigned to the apostolate by the Lord Himself. They are consecrated for the royal priesthood and the holy people not only that they may offer spiritual sacrifices in everything they do, but also that they may witness to Christ throughout the world.”1

Each of us has been called by God to our own specific vocation and mission.

As laity, we are called to share ..........."............. (to read entire article, go to above link)

PRIVATE VOWS

A BLESSING PRAYER

Psalm 19 (20)  (Vespers - Tuesday, 20th Sept 2016)

May the Lord hear your prayer in the day of tribulation,
  may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
May he send you help from his holy place;
  from Zion, may he extend his protection.
May he remember every one of your sacrifices
  and find merit in your burnt-offerings.
May he deal with you as your heart desires
  and bring all your plans to fulfilment.

Some put their faith in chariots
  and some in horses,
  but we invoked the name of the Lord our God.