An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are These Mortal Sins

Poorly Catechized Convert

Poorly Catechized Convert

I'm asking this question primarily because I just went to confession four days ago. I really don't want to go back to confession so soon; at the same time I want to receive the Eucharist.

First, in my English class we were reading an anonymous paper, fr a different class. The writer had repeated a certain word very frequently. As a result, my group began pointing it out. I thought that it would be a mortal sin to participate, so I tried not to. Still, when I had to read them a sentence, my voice conveyed "well here we go again." Also, I got asked about how may times that word showed up in my paragraph. I justified answering by telling my self that if I hadn't been asked I wouldn't have done so.

Also, I found myself saying things to make me appear smart. I don't do this to put myself above others, still for a while, I had viewed that intent as making my action mortal. Although, they are things that would come up naturally in a conversation anyway.

Also, I got embarrassmed and as a result said something rude. As soon as I did so I felt horrible. I had not thought of it's rudeness until I said it. I should add that it was made to family, in regards to a friend a really like (both the embarrassment and comment).
Are any of these things mortal?

Lastly, what do I do when I think something that would be mortally sinful (not like an intrusive thought, it actually came from me), but then I correct myself right away? Also, if I uncover an attitude that would be mortally sinful, but then correct myself, should I abstain? I did both of these since my last confession and don't know how to respond.

I'm asking this question primarily because I just went to confession four days ago. I really don't want to go back to confession so soon; at the same time I want to receive the Eucharist.

First, in my English class we were reading an anonymous paper, fr a different class. The writer had repeated a certain word very frequently. As a result, my group began pointing it out. I thought that it would be a mortal sin to participate, so I tried not to. Still, when I had to read them a sentence, my voice conveyed "well here we go again." Also, I got asked about how may times that word showed up in my paragraph. I justified answering by telling my self that if I hadn't been asked I wouldn't have done so. NO

Also, I found myself saying things to make me appear smart. I don't do this to put myself above others, still for a while, I had viewed that intent as making my action mortal. Although, they are things that would come up naturally in a conversation anyway.  NO

Also, I got embarrassmed and as a result said something rude. As soon as I did so I felt horrible. I had not thought of it's rudeness until I said it. I should add that it was made to family, in regards to a friend a really like (both the embarrassment and comment).
Are any of these things mortal? NOT AT ALL they may be human failings but they do not kill the life of grace(which is what a mortal sin does) in your soul

Lastly, what do I do when I think something that would be mortally sinful (not like an intrusive thought, it actually came from me), but then I correct myself right away? Also, if I uncover an attitude that would be mortally sinful, but then correct myself, should I abstain? I did both of these since my last confession and don't know how to respond. That's fine, but you do seem to have a little trouble with scruples :saint2: