An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan University Thread

PhuturePriest

Unless things have really changed, Franciscan has a big problem with student debt. I think there is aid available but it's mostly loans? And the academics leave a bit to be desired as well, outside of things like the nursing program. The fellowship opportunities are second to none though.

However for me personally, I don't think good fellowship is a good enough reason to go into private-school levels of debt. And keep in mind it's in Steubenville, the town has a horrible reputation. Remember that debt can destroy your vocation whether it is to marriage or consecrated life. Money problems are the number one reason for divorce.

PhuturePriest

Unless things have really changed, Franciscan has a big problem with student debt. I think there is aid available but it's mostly loans? And the academics leave a bit to be desired as well, outside of things like the nursing program. The fellowship opportunities are second to none though.

However for me personally, I don't think good fellowship is a good enough reason to go into private-school levels of debt. And keep in mind it's in Steubenville, the town has a horrible reputation. Remember that debt can destroy your vocation whether it is to marriage or consecrated life. Money problems are the number one reason for divorce.

Franciscan has a renowned theology program, which is what I would go into if I went there. As for debt, I qualify for several scholarships (I'm amesome like that), and student debt is always assumed when going into college. Also, I'm thinking of going to community college first, which I qualify to go to for free, so that will take away a lot of debt.

On top of that, state universities are just as bad and sometimes worse than any Catholic college I've seen. I have friends who go to state universities and who have just as much debt or more than all of the Benedictine and Franciscan people I know.

And yeah, the town has a bad reputation, but I don't plan to be in the town, I plan to be living on campus.

Edited by FuturePriest387

if your family makes less than $65,000 you can attend princeton, columbia, yale, harvard or dartmouth  for free - no tuition, no room and board, nothing.  Princeton has a "no loan" policy -- 100% of their students graduate without student debt.

you do not need to be a genius, or even a smarty-pantaloons to get in and pay nothing. you need to be weird in some way. I wonder if you qualify on that score? hmmmmm.

*ETA= srsly, worth a shot, and you can get the application fees waived****

Edited by Lilllabettt

Franciscan does have more popular authors, but I'm pretty sure UD is academically superior (there is a difference) and is in every way orthodox.   Plus it's closer, it's in TX, it's warmer... You can rule it out, but more options won't hurt you, they can only help you.

PhuturePriest

if your family makes less than $65,000 you can attend princeton, columbia, yale, harvard or dartmouth  for free - no tuition, no room and board, nothing.  Princeton has a "no loan" policy -- 100% of their students graduate without student debt.

you do not need to be a genius, or even a smarty-pantaloons to get in and pay nothing. you need to be weird in some way. I wonder if you qualify on that score? hmmmmm.

*ETA= srsly, worth a shot, and you can get the application fees waived****

I'm a black belt professional swing dancer who likes One Direction and dancing with an iPod in public to scandalize the masses. Is that weird enough?

Franciscan does not really have renowned theology program... Not academically anyway. Renowned for its orthodoxy and renowned for the celebrities who teach there, but not for its rigor. Unfortunately Franciscan grads can run into trouble if they plan to continue advanced degrees in theology ( again , unless things have changed big time in the last 5 years).

Very bright going to community college first. That will really control costs.

PhuturePriest

Franciscan does have more popular authors, but I'm pretty sure UD is academically superior (there is a difference) and is in every way orthodox.   Plus it's closer, it's in TX, it's warmer... You can rule it out, but more options won't hurt you, they can only help you.

To be fair, you are biased in saying it's academically superior, seeing as how you went there. :P I can assure you, getting good grades in a class run by Scott Hahn is no cake-walk. He strikes me as the type of guy that expects a lot more out of students than most professors might.

PhuturePriest

Franciscan does not really have renowned theology program... Not academically anyway. Renowned for its orthodoxy and renowned for the celebrities who teach there, but not for its rigor. Unfortunately Franciscan grads can run into trouble if they plan to continue advanced degrees in theology ( again , unless things have changed big time in the last 5 years).

Very bright going to community college first. That will really control costs.

Well, thank God I never ever want to go into graduate school if it kills me (Unless it's seminary). :P

I'm a black belt professional swing dancer who likes One Direction and dancing with an iPod in public to scandalize the masses. Is that weird enough?

there is no debate about the weird factor, friend. mix in some about the times you've spent riding the struggle bus and whoop-dee-do, we have a winner.

PhuturePriest

there is no debate about the weird factor, friend. mix in some about the times you've spent riding the struggle bus and whoop-dee-do, we have a winner.

At Prayer & Action last year, we played a game about an invisible energy ball, and few people passed it to me. :sad:

At Prayer & Action last year, we played a game about an invisible energy ball, and few people passed it to me. :sad:

traumatic.

To be fair, you are biased in saying it's academically superior, seeing as how you went there. :P I can assure you, getting good grades in a class run by Scott Hahn is no cake-walk. He strikes me as the type of guy that expects a lot more out of students than most professors might.

I matriculated, but did not graduate from there.  Transferred out.  I think if you look at the graduate profile and professors you can see that it's objectively more academic.    It would be personal bias, however, preferring the Dallas area to Ohio (winter included.)

PhuturePriest

I matriculated, but did not graduate from there.  Transferred out.  I think if you look at the graduate profile and professors you can see that it's objectively more academic.    It would be personal bias, however, preferring the Dallas area to Ohio (winter included.)

I prefer the winter over the summer, so you're most certainly going to lose that argument.

I prefer the winter over the summer, so you're most certainly going to lose that argument.

Not an argument.  It's personal preference. 

I bet your mom would prefer UD to FU.   But you wouldn't want to go to a JC first.  You wanna go all 4 years.  You get to spend a semester your second year at the Rome campus.