An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Know Why There's So Much Snow This Year

Luigi

I have a friend who's six and in kindergarten. He's a great kid. I was over at his house one night last December and he was supposed to be getting ready for bed, when he came running down the hall and said, "You guys - Theodore [another kid in his class at school?] says if you flush an ice cube down the potty, and you put another ice cube on your front porch just before you go to bed, it will snow overnight!" 

My friend tried it that night, and his first results were "a light dusting." 

Theodore and his minions must be stopped!

I LIKE snow!  I'm gonna try it!

AND... we need rain.  Can I pour a bottle of water in there and get a cloudburst?    

I LIKE snow!  I'm gonna try it!

AND... we need rain.  Can I pour a bottle of water in there and get a cloudburst?    

Good idea, but I don't know. I can't figure out if this Theodore is doing science, or magic, or voodoo, or what. 

But experiment with the water-rain relationship and report back to us!

:smile2:

I'm going to put some skittles down the toilet and a bowl on the front porch and see if I get a unicorn.

You just never know.....

:smile2:

I'm going to put some skittles down the toilet and a bowl on the front porch and see if I get a unicorn.

I got Theodore.   :shock:

Can you please take him back?

Have you guys never heard of the snow day procedures? You have to turn your pjs inside out. Run around the kitchen/dining room table three times backward. (really fast) And flush 3 ice cubes down the toilet. I have done this since kindergarten and it works every time. :)

I got Theodore.   :shock:

Can you please take him back?

I think every kind in kindergarten - there are two classes at his school - must be following Theodore's advice. 

And they probably have kid relatives in other cities!

IT WORKS... we got a small amount of RAIN!!!!!!

Tomorrow Feb 6 Friday Feb 7 Saturday Feb 8 Sunday Feb 9 Monday Feb 10 11.gif

Showers

11.gif

Rain

11.gif

Rain

11.gif

Rain

28.gif

Mostly Cloudy

Hi: 53° Lo: 48° Hi: 55° Lo: 50° Hi: 57° Lo: 51° Hi: 57° Lo: 50° Hi: 58° Lo: 49°

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY WE ARE!!!!

We haven't had more than 3 days of rain since last summer... and this is officially the dryest winter on record in the San Francisco area.  Yeah, it looks pretty.... but we need the water!

IgnatiusofLoyola

We haven't had more than 3 days of rain since last summer... and this is officially the dryest winter on record in the San Francisco area.  Yeah, it looks pretty.... but we need the water!

As I've posted before, I grew up in the Bay Area and all the members of my immediate family still live there.

I have to move this year, and have been wondering whether this is the time for me to make a "big move" and leave Chicago.

Many times (usually when it's below zero outside) I have wondered if this horrible winter is a God giving me a signal I can't ignore that it's time for me to leave. We had a couple of bad winters when I first moved to Chicago, but I was much younger then (in my late 20's) and the snow didn't bother me nearly as much. Now that I'm older (and disabled and alone) the combination of subzero temperatures and lots of snow is causing all kinds of problems. Today, I'm finally going to a doctor's appt that I had to cancel twice already because of weather problems.

My poor mother (who lives in Oakland). One Sunday I was so depressed about the weather that when she called me (as she always calls me on Sundays), I didn't pick up the phone. I knew that if she told me (as she does every week) about their gorgeous weather and the walks she's taken, etc. I would either burst into tears or want to strangle her.

I DO understand that drought is serious, and the California drought this year is one of the most serious on record. If I could, I would gladly give my family the 3-4 feet of snow currently covering my yard. Also, I live about a mile and a half from one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world (Lake Michigan) and I would happily share it with you. When all this snow melts there will be flooding problems here while California suffers from drought.

In the meantime, EVERYONE in Chicago is going crazy--I'm not the only one. Once February is over, hopefully the temperatures will at least get up to the 30's and 40's (shorts and t-shirt weather!), but we normally don't get our last snowfall until mid-April, so winter won't be ending anytime soon.

In the meantime I pray for rain for California. I also pray for rain here, because rain means the temperature is above about 35 and it melts the snow. I would have 5 feet of snow in my yard instead of 3 feet if we hadn't had a VERY short "warm" spell that melted most of the snow.

Thank you, Iggy, I really appreciate it!  

You are welcome to send us SOME of your snow.  I don't think we have room for all of it.  Especially since ARFink is also planning to send us some from MinneSNOWta.

I have family on my father's side just outside of Chicago, and I remember one time I visited there in February... and I was tickled silly by their TOTALLY SERIOUSLY taking me on a 'tour' of Chicago in winter by car that was 100% composed of looking at 6 foot snowbanks on either side of the streets and declaiming, very seriously, ' oh look!  There is Grant Park' and suchlike!  It was truly hilarious and I didn't dare laugh... but I have never forgotten that 'tour.'

I am continuing to drop ice cubes into the toilet... and we are continuing to have drizzle.  We also had a HUGE cloudburst shortly after one ice cube melted....

I hope the experiment continues well....