An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Sisters Of Hawthorne

Kateri89

Has anyone visited with this community or discerned with them?  I've never given them much consideration and haven't really heard of too many people here on PM who have discerned and/or entered with them but they seem interesting.

Sponsa-Christi

I've never discerned with them, but they're fairly well-known in the area where I grew up. I've also met a few of the Sisters. I have only heard good things about them!

I have visited the motherhouse, although it was a number of years ago. They are a very wonderful community, but their ministry is not for everyone. The ONLY ministry they do is work with the terminally ill. While this is extraordinarily important and spiritually powerful, not everyone is called to it.  [There are some, by the way, who credit mother Alphonsa Hawthorne Lathrop, the foundress--and daughter of novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne--as being one of the pioneers of the hospice movement.]

Has anyone visited with this community or discerned with them?  I've never given them much consideration and haven't really heard of too many people here on PM who have discerned and/or entered with them but they seem interesting.

I was in contact with them for a while and was planning to make a visit until the VD told me that my depression was a hindrance so I never visited.  I really appreciate their work but I think they were scared that witnessing dying would send me into a depressive episode.  The strange thing is that I'm probably the most accepting of death because of having to learn how to accept it at an early age.  However, it's difficult to convey this to someone you don't know.  :(

The irony is that I'm majoring in Health Administration and I plan to work in hospice care because I've seen the incredible good it can do.  Then, I want to become a Physician Assistant specializing in Geriatrics and Palliative Care (hospice).

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I have visited the motherhouse, although it was a number of years ago. They are a very wonderful community, but their ministry is not for everyone. The ONLY ministry they do is work with the terminally ill. While this is extraordinarily important and spiritually powerful, not everyone is called to it.  [There are some, by the way, who credit mother Alphonsa Hawthorne Lathrop, the foundress--and daughter of novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne--as being one of the pioneers of the hospice movement.]

Interesting fact about the foundress, thanks!  And I'm sure you're right about it not being for everyone.  So far I've only worked in specialties where the death of a patient is pretty uncommon.  I think I'd just be curious to see the Sisters in their apostolate.

Their ministry has a good bit in common with ours.  Go visit to experience the joy and the peace.  It can't be explained.  THe community is not as large as many others, but the spirit is beautiful.