An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crowning With Roses - Religious Profession

oremus1

Hi there

i noticed a few female orders, such as benedictines, carmelites etc incorporate a crowning with roses into their religious profession. does anyone know where this custom came from and what it signifies? why has it now been mostly discarded?

I don't know if there is an official like Liturgical reason - we were crowned with white jasmine at first profession.

Significance: to remind us that we were to be the perfumed incense rising to God in praise at LOTH;

to signify our virginal state:

to join with the Crowned Queen of Heaven and take her as our guide and protector:

to add to the celebratory aspect:

to indicate that as His bride He would cover us in Glory.

We wore the crown all day then in the evening each new novice went and placed it at the foot of a statue or shrine where it stayed until it wilted, then Sr Vestry removed it.

I don't know if there is an official like Liturgical reason - we were crowned with white jasmine at first profession.

Significance: to remind us that we were to be the perfumed incense rising to God in praise at LOTH;

to join with the Crowned Queen of Heaven and take her as our guide and protector:

We wore the crown all day then in the evening each new novice went and placed it at the foot of a statue or shrine where it stayed until it wilted, then Sr Vestry removed it.

may i ask, is this common for orders? or only traditonal/enclosed ones?

I mean, the Salesians do it. It's not like a mandatory practice, but a tradition for some communities.

My former community does it.  I think it's a beautiful custom. :)

but what does it mean, why? is there any liturgical reason that you know of? what do they say inthe liturgy when the new nun is crowned? for example 'recieve the ring that marks you as a bride ofChrist...' ?? what do they say when they impose the crowns??

Please keep in mind that not ALL Carmelites or Benedictines do this.  [Indeed, not all Carmelites or Benedictines wear habits, change their names, etc.] This is not a criticism of the communities which do observe certain traditions, but simply a reminder that many--perhaps most--communities do not.  Indeed, none of these things is essential to religious life--they are customs, traditions, etc., but have nothing to do with the VOWS which are the crucial element of religious. Also, please keep these things in mind if you really do intend to write a "dummies" book on religious life..... 

Max just explained the significance.

yes but what do they say when they give it to you? i thought that was just max's opinion why it could be.

Please keep in mind that not ALL Carmelites or Benedictines do this.  [Indeed, not all Carmelites or Benedictines wear habits, change their names, etc.] This is not a criticism of the communities which do observe certain traditions, but simply a reminder that many--perhaps most--communities do not.  Indeed, none of these things is essential to religious life--they are customs, traditions, etc., but have nothing to do with the VOWS which are the crucial element of religious. Also, please keep these things in mind if you really do intend to write a "dummies" book on religious life..... 

what makes you think i am writing a dummies book on religious life???

and i did not ask whether it was essential, or part of vows etc. my question in the OP was , WHY and WHAT DOES IT MEAN. WHERE DID IT ORIGINATE.

They don't really *bestow* it on you as they do the habit or the ring (if the community does that). It's just a thing. Not a sacramental.

i did not say that YOU were writing a Dummies book on religious life, Oremus, but there is a very active thread on that topic in this Phorum.  I simply pointed out that it was important to distinguish between customs that may be followed by a minority of communities and general rules and practices of religious life.  The crown of roses is also followed in some cultures for marriages, so this would be a parallel form of dedication.

In terms of the custom, at least some communities traditionally did not use a crown of roses, but of thorns....

I believe that some communities give the nun her choice, a crown of flowers or a crown of thorns.  Don't know the exact theological explanation, but one can certainly take it to it's most logical conclusion.  

Also, I remember reading in the PCPA's newsletter that the postulants made the crown for the soon to be novice, and the novices made the crown for the soon to be professed.

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal employ this tradition.  They bestow a crown of baby roses on a newly professed Sister and a crown of thorns on a finally professed Sister.  I'm not aware of the formula they say when they place the crown on the Sister's head but I have seen many pictures of profession ceremonies.