An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents

pax

Hi, I'm new to the boards, but have been kind of a "lurker" for quite some time. I think I may be called to the priesthood and may possibly want to enter Seminary after High School (I'm 17 yrs old and going to be a senior in HS next year). The problem is I have yet to inform my parents about my possible vocation. My dad isn't Catholic, but my mom is and I'm not sure how well they'll take the news that I may be interested in the priesthood. Does anyone have any advice, etc.... Also, for those of you already in seminary how did your extended families take the decision?

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Pax

ThyWillBeDone

Hi,
I just finished my freshman year of college and am entering the seminary in September. When I first told me parents they weren't very supportive. They had my best intrest in mind and were worried I was making a decision to soon. By the time I decided I should enter the seminary to further discern my vocation it was to late to enter that year so I went to college for a year, and worked on discerning while there. But anyway I realize that is not answering you question. Concerning your question I will tell you what someone told me when I first told my parents and they were not supportive. If it is truelly your call your parents will see that eventually (mine do now). You have to have faith that God will let them know that it is your calling. Mary was told that she was chosen to be the mother of Jesus before Joseph was told, he considered leaving her, but then God steped in and filled him in on the plan. God will step in and inform you parents, when it is necessary so have faith, trust in God, and seek to follow his will. I will keep you in my prayers.
God Bless,
Chris

pray.
thats the best advice i can give. my mom isn't too happy i'm actually entering but dad is cool with it now. Hey and at least she talks about it now.
I think they might come around but at the same time remember they want what they think is best for you. sometimes that come out in bad ways, but they do. Don't be alarmed when your mom cries they all do even if they are supportive of it.

Guest JeffCR07

I think the best advice/testimony that can be given was summed up by Chris (btw, have an awesome time at Sem. - we'll miss you!). Just allow the Spirit to work in your life. Trust that God will call you, and as long as you are willing to hear him, there is nothing in the world that can stand in your way. Be open, trust in Him, and pray unceasingly.

- Your Brother in Christ, Jeff

Spiritual_Arsonist

I have a lot of experience in this area. Just sit them down and be honest. You cannot do any better than that.

My parents are both against it, my father more so than my mother, because neither of them are Catholic. They're pretty much cutting me off financially when I go to seminary, so I'll be on my own.

We're with you, brother.

daugher-of-Mary

My parents just about fell out of their seats when I talked to them, but they've been very supportive. Just pray hard about it, be honest, and trust God to take care of it. One of my best friends entered religious life this past summer...her mother was very opposed to her entrance, but now that her daughter has entered, she is warming up to the idea much more. The same friend always used to tell me "Where there's God's Will, there's a way!" ;)

If I feel I am really called to a religious vocation when I'm older, my parents would lock me in my room and never ever let me out. I'm not joking. It's so far from what they can imagine...I don't even want to think about the reaction :(

Sigh...well, there's still time...

i've had trouble...
my parents called it stupid basically...
whats the point of being closed up?

they don't understand...
God will take care of it all...
Just put your full trust in Him

my parents also are not at all supportive. I haven't said anything to my Dad because "agnostic" and he would freak out. My Mom knows that someday I would like to be a sister. I was so sad today when my Mom said that she thought that there was somethink "un-natural" about nuns, and she said that the nuns who taught her in school were "evil". I just stared at her and didn't really say anythink. I was kinda shocked. So it looks like we all pretty much have unsupportive parents, so good luck to the rest of you guys!

I'm not sure how I told my parents about it. I just kept being uncertain to them what I was thinking of doing after highschool. Eventually after going on some retreats, I decided I should discern priesthood. I am a junior in high-school now and my parents a really quite supportive.

I was blessed with parents that supported me during seminary, but my extended family was freaked out. We were the only Catholics in the family, my immediate family that is, and so on days when all the family was supposed to be there it was just my Mom and Dad. I worried about that alot with ordination. Will anyone come? Because some guys had huge families.

But God provided all that I needed. I never felt neglected. In fact I was held up by my brothers and sisters in Christ, which is a deeper bond than a biological bond. God has blessed me with extended family that is enormous.

Don't worry, you can't out give God. It is impossible.

Fr. Pontifex

This is really suprising to me. All these parents being non-supportive. That's so crazy. As a parent myself (and specifically, a dad), it would be a DREAM if my daughter decided to be a nun. haha... No boyfriends to worry about.

I would also love it if my son would someday be a priest. I plan on gently encouraging both of my children to enter the religious life--and hopefully, they'll hear the calling.

JMJ
6/10 - Tenth Thursday

My parents were nothing but supportive of my decision to enter seminary. The weird thing was with my extended family. My father's family (who are all Methodists) just loved the idea that I was going to be a priest, and they still do. My mother's family (who are all Catholics) absolutely hated the idea, and still do to some extent. Things get weird when one talks about the life of the cloth. :P