An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I Go Back To School And Get Into Debt?

KarenJoanna

I am 21 and one of the reasons I did not go to college was because I was afraid to go into debt because I know that no order will accept you with debt. But somehow, I really wish I could go back and study. I do not know thought what would be best. Should I go back or just keep on working? I do feel bad for not going. I am so confused. What would you advice me? I still cannot enter anyway due to debt.

Basilisa Marie

What degree do you already have? If it's about getting an associate's or a bachelor's, I'd start with a local community college to keep things more affordable. If it's a graduate level degree, don't do it unless you're funded. 

Some communities, such as the Religious Sisters of Mercy (they certainly aren't the only ones), continue their education to the highest degree possible, not just for the purposes of their work in hospitals and with the poor, but because it glorifies God to keep learning and growing intellectually. You would not necessarily be losing the chance of college by entering a religious community, depending on where you went.

Edited by SilentJoy

Not all communities treat debt the same way.  Some communities, where a professional education would be required for ministry, take on a woman's student loans if they are able because they would need to pay for her to be educated anyway.  Many times this is limited to undergraduate work.  

Do you have a spiritual director?  This would be something important to discuss with him or her.  You could do an Ignatian discernment of this issue to really see where God is calling you right now, not in five years or ten years.  We can plan all we want but unless we live in the present and truly listen to God's voice in that present moment, the future means very little.  Some questions you might want to think about are: Why do I want to study?  What do I want to study?  Why now?  What is God calling me to do with these studies?   Why do I feel "bad" for not studying?  

I hope you can discern this decision well.

As Sister said, there are communities that will work with you on debt.  I think its more often the case with men's communities ... but I do know of a few women's communities.  

Your issue is one that has bothered me as well. Something a wise woman told me:  If you don't see yourself entering religious life in the next year, continue your education, or your career change, or whatever it is. Discernment is not an excuse/reason to tread water in life. She told me to move forward by making decisions that would be prudent regardless of what my vocation is --- not borrowing more for school than I could expect to receive for an annual salary, for example. Or  not borrowing any private loans - only federal ones.

I am 21 and one of the reasons I did not go to college was because I was afraid to go into debt because I know that no order will accept you with debt. But somehow, I really wish I could go back and study. I do not know thought what would be best. Should I go back or just keep on working? I do feel bad for not going. I am so confused. What would you advice me? I still cannot enter anyway due to debt.

Could you perhaps apply for financial aid or scholarships?  That's how I'm affording school - through Pell Grants and a small scholarship grant through my school because I'm not working right now.  If you have low income or a financial need, you could apply for the FAFSA and see what you qualify for.

If it were me, I would avoid school loans like the plague unless you have no other choice.  If you know for certain that you're bound to apply for entrance (seriously discerning), then it would be wise to avoid loans.  However, if you are simply testing your discernment and are not serious, it's less of a problem.

I say pay off what you can, before you pile on more. Does the community that you perhaps are interested in require higher education? The goal (for most) is to be able to enter without debt.

I agree with what Sr. Marie said ... you need to discern this with a good spiritual director. Sure, we can give advice and suggestions on here but a decision such as this really could use the help of a director for discernment.

Spem in alium

Definitely talk to your spiritual director and perhaps see if you can qualify for a scholarship or some kind of financial assistance. I have a student loan from my last degree but was lucky to get a scholarship with my current one, so will work to put some of the money towards paying off my loan.

Junior College's are pretty inexpensive.  Why don't you go visit some nearby ones and find out about costs and various programs to help out.  Plenty of time to get your paperwork in order for next fall (or even summer classes) all with no commitment. 

At least in my state, financial aid rules change by the time you will be 24 at the end of the calendar year, which works out well for starting university. That's where your parents money does not matter but only your own income. If you live with family while you go to school and get a part time job, you should not have much debt. If you can, try community college first because it's cheaper and transfer then. A lot of school will have financial aid counselors too who can help you understand the details of how to pay for it.  And don't forget local community organizations and the school for scholarships.

Edited by Light and Truth