An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Cringe When I Hear The Term "living Wage."

Pliny

I could work for the NSA and get the emotional destruction pretty easily. Or McDonalds. Or the auto industry. So many great possibilities.

I'm disturbed by your lack of thirst for public affirmation.  You're going to make a crappy politician.  

I've asked you a few questions that you ignored so you could complain about me posting a pretty established economists respectful critique of a proponent of your mindset.  The article takes no more than a few minutes to read but if reading makes you sad then please feel free to ignore it.  

My apologies.  I'll go back and look for your questions and respond if I can.

My apologies.  I'll go back and look for your questions and respond if I can.

No problem.  My questions were just:

1-What do you mean by 'free market'?

2-Do you believe that private economic power can ever be coercive?

I'm disturbed by your lack of thirst for public affirmation.  You're going to make a crappy politician.  

I don't know, the fact that you're disturbed by my conduct instead of just being coldly indifferent makes me feel slightly more significant, I guess. How am I doing?

I'd say it's fair. Certainly matches my sentiment. :)

Although what I wished to bring attention to is that the idea of minimum wage causing people to be unemployed doesn't make much sense when those who wish to work for less can always be self-employed. Which is rather madly ironic in a way...

OK,  I'm not following this either....  I think you mean something other than you wrote. 

"those who wish to work for less" - I don't think anyone wishes to work for less, rather some might be willing to work for less, is that what you mean?

While it certainly is possible for someone unemployed to become self-employed, how often is that realistic?  Especially for those with limited skills, who are exactly the types that would be looking for minimum wage?

Although what I wished to bring attention to is that the idea of minimum wage causing people to be unemployed doesn't make much sense when those who wish to work for less can always be self-employed. Which is rather madly ironic in a way...

Not everyone has the knowledge, skills, and ability to be self-employed. That's the crux. The people willing to work for less than minimum wage typically aren't the go getter entrepreneur types.

You say self-employment is easy, but then the traits you list for self employment require skills that not everyone has. I.E being able to set something up on the internet...

Edit: Basically what NotreDame said right before me. Somehow my page didn't load his post even though it's time stamped 25 minutes earlier

Edited by Slappo

I guess so.  You apparently consider vague innuendo and not-particularly clever hyperbole intelligent.  I do understand why Gintis would not meet your standards of intelligence though since he lacks you extensive academic accomplishments and does not have your Bill Nye the Science Guy equivalent engineering training.  

OK, first of all, I read the entire essay before I posted that response - in fact, it provoked that response... It attributes a number of assumptions to Friedman without actually establishing them, then rather than address those assumptions it just goes on to disagree with his various platforms, beginning with Social Security, calling it an "astounding success" and aren't we lucky we can't save our own money.  In short, it's pretty dumb.

And this is also a good example of where you get annoying... You'll either zero in on one little point ("race") or you'll pull this boil the ocean stuff like you are doing here... whatever benefits you at the time. 

And of course I have read other points of view, there is just a limit to how much of the same rehashed garbage I can stomach...  I'm not sure how old you are, but when I grew up I didn't always have access to all this information and I was essentially force-fed all the liberal keynsian or marxist ideas.  They were on our news channels (only had 3 of those) our newspaper (only got one of those), and in all my classrooms.  I had to try really hard to get my hands on alternative viewpoints.

So while I've read Marx, Keynes, and used to be a regular Krugman reader back in 1998-99, it's just not that interesting to me anymore because it's all the same old ideas rehashed.

Edited by NotreDame

OK,  I'm not following this either....  I think you mean something other than you wrote. 

"those who wish to work for less" - I don't think anyone wishes to work for less, rather some might be willing to work for less, is that what you mean?

While it certainly is possible for someone unemployed to become self-employed, how often is that realistic?  Especially for those with limited skills, who are exactly the types that would be looking for minimum wage?

Yeah, I know it makes no sense. I was merely saying that the piece you originally quoted was initially meant to convey a thought which I now acknowledge is rather silly.

Man, I need caffeine now.

EDIT: Just FYI, many of the previous posts were made when I was hungry, tired, decaffeinated, and taking a break from the sanding and finishing I had been spending all day on. :P Take with a large grain of salt, perhaps one this big:

salt-mine-nuclear-waste-asse-germany-sal

Edited by arfink

And this is also a good example of where you get annoying... You'll either zero in on one little point ("race") or you'll pull this boil the ocean stuff like you are doing here... whatever benefits you at the time. 

Ok

Edited by Hasan

Ok

I was going to say, you do know that exactly zero people in the entire history of the internet have had their opinions about politics changed by an argument they had on the internet.

Ok

Why'd you edit it?  I liked the first post better.  

I was going to say, you do know that exactly zero people in the entire history of the internet have had their opinions about politics changed by an argument they had on the internet.

But we don't have to argue, we can discuss.

Me.

Mine have definitely been influenced, but I'm not sure a single argument ever changed a strong political stance I held. A series of arguments has probably helped shape my political viewpoints though.

Because of internet arguments I changed my mind about circumcision, although too late for it to be of any personal benefit.