An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Medical Schools?

Annie12

Does anyone happen to know of any Catholic Medical Schools? I hope to attend Med School one day and it would be really nice if it were in keeping with the Catholic faith. Pax!

IgnatiusofLoyola

I googled "Catholic Medical Schools" and got this link from the Association of Catholic colleges and universities. http://www.accunet.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=3544

I was surprised at how few medical schools are Catholic. And, many (most?) of the schools on the list might be viewed by some members of Phatmass as not being "orthodox" and more "secular" than many of the colleges and universities that many members of Phatmass have attended (or currently attend). Still, if you want to go to medical school (I appluad you!), going to a Catholic medical school is a start, even if it isn't your ideal school. I think a medical school that identifies itself as Catholic will still be different than a clearly secular school, even if it isn't as "orthodox" as many schools preferred by Phatmass posters. If nothing else, a Catholic medical school should make it much easier to have things like access to daily Mass, finding a spiritual director, and at least some of your fellow students being orthodox Catholics, making it easier to find a group of people with whom you share core values and beliefs.

Good luck!

I went to a Catholic nursing school where my OB instructor was pro-choice and told us horrible stories about when she used to work as a nurse on an abortion unit. Yes that is a real thing. :|

Hi! The med school I am most familiar with is Marion University in Indianapolis. Its a fairly new school but i have been hearing wonderful things about it. Congratulations on your decision to pursue medicine! I am currently in my first year of medical school, and would be happy to help answer any questions about the application process or about med school in general (its way more fun/challenging/different/fulfilling than I ever expected!), simply message me :)

Basilisa Marie

Eh, you're probably much better off working to get into an MD or DO school at all, let alone trying to find one that's Catholic.  I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's hard getting in! :P  I just don't want you to unnecessarily limit yourself - a friend of mine did that and didn't end up getting into any school at all.  Maybe also see how many Catholic churches are in the area of a school? 

Other than that, the link Iggy posted is the only one I could find, so those would be a really good starting point! 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

This was a great thing for me to research this because I plan on becoming a Physician Assistant and I had no idea that Barry University or St. Louis University had a PA program.  :)