An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mary's Child

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

I can't find her old thread easily, so I'm just starting a new one to say that I found a picture of her and the other two postulants on her sisters' facebook page:

1891266_637236979658368_1111813289_n.jpg

If the community hasn't posted the names in the right order, probably better we not try to answer this...

I'm not a mod, but we need to remember what the mods have asked us regarding anonymity on VS....

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/131988-privacyanonymity-on-vocation-station/

I think if Mary's Child had wanted us to ID her by picture, she would have done so or had a family member do so.  

I think her community was suggesting to her that she back off on the social media.... and we need to respect their wishes.

I could be wrong, but I'd rather we erred on the side of discretion.   If they post the names on FB or a website, that's a different thing.... my 2 cents....

If the community hasn't posted the names in the right order, probably better we not try to answer this...

I'm not a mod, but we need to remember what the mods have asked us regarding anonymity on VS....

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/131988-privacyanonymity-on-vocation-station/

I think if Mary's Child had wanted us to ID her by picture, she would have done so or had a family member do so.  

I think her community was suggesting to her that she back off on the social media.... and we need to respect their wishes.

I could be wrong, but I'd rather we erred on the side of discretion.   If they post the names on FB or a website, that's a different thing.... my 2 cents....

Yes, I think this is best, as well, especially since MC posted a status asking how her account could be closed.  This is becoming more common with some orders who don't want a large internet presence and want to protect the identity of their Sisters.  It's respectful to obey their wishes.  ;)

ChristinaTherese

Yeah, I know here real name, but I'm not telling and I don't know which she is. (I might be able to find out, but that would be by way of finding a picture of her on the facebook account she probably closed if she was wanting to close this one.)

ETA: Finding out which she is would just be insanely difficult anyway, what with the angle in the picture.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

AveMariaPurissima

:oops:Sorry for asking....you all are right.  I feel stupid for not thinking of that.  :sorry: :paperbag:

:oops:Sorry for asking....you all are right.  I feel stupid for not thinking of that.  :sorry: :paperbag:

Awww, don't feel stupid, it was a reasonable question. I would have asked if you hadn't.  :blush:

Yes remember the privacy rule please :).  Although I do have to admit that it's a great photo.  The good news -- the community name is not posted so that's great.

And the general rule -- if you know for sure that the community is ok with posting the photo, or that the postulant/novice/professed sister has given the ok to post, then you should by all means post the photo.

So for example -- if you took pictures during a come-and-see, you really should clear it with the sisters (especially if they are cloistered) before posting.

It gets a bit more fuzzy re: a facebook page.  But that also means it is in the public forum (i.e. it has been publicized for the world to see, unless their facebook page is private to members/followers only).

Nobody needs to feel bad... we didn't' post anything that was privacy invading.  

And it is a reminder to pray for her, her postulant sisters, and her community.  

I hope no one minded that I suggested that we probably ought to just stop at that point.