An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fruits Of Adoration: Chapel, Vocations

Thijs

brandelynmarie

That chapel sounds amazing...the next time I'm in Colorado I'm going to have to try to see it..thank you for sharing :)

Adoration chapels are such a blessing to their local parish community. We have 24/7 adoration at my parish back home and a couple of the parishes near me currently and it just adds another level to the life of the parish.

I wish we could build one at our parish.  Heaven knows, the "want" is there from the parishioners - we have Adoration every Monday from 8am to 7pm and are planning to add 1 if not 2 more days.  We just don't have the space to build!  The church itself is gorgeous, very old, very ornate, fro the 1800's.  We are already using every inch of space we have!  And to make it worse, we are land-locked.  Oh well.........one can dream.

Adoration chapels are such a blessing to their local parish community. We have 24/7 adoration at my parish back home and a couple of the parishes near me currently and it just adds another level to the life of the parish.

They are a huge blessing. We have had perpetual adoration at my parish for several years.  We now have an adoration chapel that just celebrated its first anniversary.  Archbishop Aquila was instrumental in making that happen (I go to the Cathedral in my diocese, so was his home church.)  He came back from Denver to consecrate the chapel when it opened.  I know we've had a few vocations come out of that adoration. 

I wish we could build one at our parish.  Heaven knows, the "want" is there from the parishioners - we have Adoration every Monday from 8am to 7pm and are planning to add 1 if not 2 more days.  We just don't have the space to build!  The church itself is gorgeous, very old, very ornate, fro the 1800's.  We are already using every inch of space we have!  And to make it worse, we are land-locked.  Oh well.........one can dream.

Keep hoping, Francis Clare!  At my former parish (which, like yours, had no additional space to build),

one of the ushers came up with the idea to transform their changing room--basically a large closet adjacent to the sacristy--into one of the most beautiful, intimate Adoration Chapels you can imagine!  The renovation was done by volunteers (from the five 2-person pews, to the handmade curtain behind the monstrance shelf).

As Pope Emeritus Benedict has written, "Let us beseech the Lord to reawaken in us the joy at His

Presence and may we once more adore Him.  Without adoration, there is no transformation of the world."

Perhaps 20 years ago, my parish turned a little Marian side-chapel into an Adoration chapel. At first they were not allowed to have Exposition, then they had certain days when the Eucharist was exposed for a set period of time, but some of the parishioners wanted Perpetual Adoration with Exposition, so they proved that they could handle the project by getting enough people signed up to stay with the tabernacle in shifts. When a new pastor took over, he loved the idea and thought that it sounded feasible so now we have one of the few Perpetual Adoration chapels in our diocese.

Keep hoping, Francis Clare!  At my former parish (which, like yours, had no additional space to build),

one of the ushers came up with the idea to transform their changing room--basically a large closet adjacent to the sacristy--into one of the most beautiful, intimate Adoration Chapels you can imagine!  The renovation was done by volunteers (from the five 2-person pews, to the handmade curtain behind the monstrance shelf).

When I said no room. I meant it!  No narthex/gathering area....walk up the outside steps, come in the doors, take 2-3 steps, into the nave :)  No cry room, no closets, no side entrances, one small (and I mean teeny) sacristy, one teeny bathroom (required by law).  Not even room for a mouse to hide  :hehe2:

When the Archbishop comes for confirmation, he vests in the rectory and walks across the parking lot to the church.  The school is detached from the church as is the rectory. So......

Those small, historical churches are, indeed, beautiful...and have qualities that many of the large mega-churches lack!  Yet what truly matters is that He is present in all of them.  Sacred spaces always seem to transcend the restrictions of place.  I imagine your church to be one giant Adoration Chapel (given the prayers & praise that emanate from it!).

When I said no room. I meant it!  No narthex/gathering area....walk up the outside steps, come in the doors, take 2-3 steps, into the nave :)  No cry room, no closets, no side entrances, one small (and I mean teeny) sacristy, one teeny bathroom (required by law).  Not even room for a mouse to hide  :hehe2:

When the Archbishop comes for confirmation, he vests in the rectory and walks across the parking lot to the church.  The school is detached from the church as is the rectory. So......

Would a multi-parish endeavour or setting up a chapel at the rectory or school work? My parish and another have a joint arrangement with the religious priests who serve here. The chapel was built at their House of Studies. Our problem was probably more a lack of people with enough available time than a lack of space though; we're a tiny country church, and coverage comes mainly from the retired parishioners, as they are the ones available for most hours. I also know of a school where the adoration chapel is in the library's building despite the neighboring parish's many rooms. (The adoration chapel is under the school's ownership and might have started when the building was a convent, though.)

FutureSister2009

We have Perpetual Adoration at my Church. I love it but they have a hard time filling some time slots. Most of them are in the middle of the night. And the Chapel has been closed a lot this winter sadly

In a fairly small town with several parishes, the local Catholic hospital had the Adoration Chapel for everyone. THe chapel was small enough to be intimate but it was beautiful.  The location  was central, always accessible, had flat access, safe parking and 24-hour security,   The initial sign-up was done through the parishes, then new adorers just went to the chapel and put their names down.  Anyone who couldn't make their time slot got themselves replaced.

Our big-city parish had the same space challenges as many others, so they renovated a large delivery lobby at the back of the building and found space for twelve without crowding.  The chapel opened with a procession around the street after the 6:00 AM Mass one Ash Wednesday.  The pastor, who also did not expect it to work, was speechless to find the church full of parishioners at that hour of the morning.