An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lent And Grumpiness

PhuturePriest

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

Allegedly, some people get grumpier during Lent. Is this true? I've never experienced this. Maybe it's because I've always had a carefree attitude and find it incredibly difficult to get annoyed or mad, but this has just never happened to me.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Not The Philosopher

Perhaps a good suggestion would be to make sure your sacrifices are the sort that aren't going to make you a pain in the arse. i.e. if you really need that cup of coffee in the morning in order to get your groove on, then maybe it's not the best thing to give up.

PhuturePriest

Perhaps a good suggestion would be to make sure your sacrifices are the sort that aren't going to make you a pain in the arse. i.e. if you really need that cup of coffee in the morning in order to get your groove on, then maybe it's not the best thing to give up.

give+cookie.jpg

I find I need to go to Confession more often during Lent and Advent than any other time of the year.  I think it's the stress of preparation for Christmas and the fasting/abstinence from meat during Lent that makes me cranky.  If I don't have my protein, WATCH out!  Fortunately, I think I found some good non-meat sources of protein to keep me healthy this year such as black bean chili, cheese (especially string cheese), Icelandic skyr, and a protein shake.  I also love skinless/boneless sardines from Season.  I think this year will be the best because I've got many exciting things happening during Lent that I've been looking forward to!  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

ThereseMaria

"You can fast from various things but as one of my priests once wisely said, whatever you do for Lent should make you easier to live with not harder (so therefore if you get really grumpy without coffee that is not the best thing to give up). " - TheresaThoma, "Lent Is Not So Far Away" thread.

"Good advice; don't be a Lenten penance for other people. " - SlentJoy, "Lent Is Not So Far Away" thread.

( ^ because I have no idea how to (or even if) you can quote people from other threads...)

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

maximillion

I am cranky during Lent but I think it has more to do with our Spring weather here in the UK.

High winds......

Never knowing when the temperature will suddenly plummet you back into winter and freeze to death all those lovely little plants you just nurtured for six weeks just to have them all depart for the big allotment in the sky.....

The rain.

The rain.

The rain.

Do I sound cranky yet? Lent isn't till next week.

PhuturePriest

I am cranky during Lent but I think it has more to do with our Spring weather here in the UK.

High winds......

Never knowing when the temperature will suddenly plummet you back into winter and freeze to death all those lovely little plants you just nurtured for six weeks just to have them all depart for the big allotment in the sky.....

The rain.

The rain.

The rain.

Do I sound cranky yet? Lent isn't till next week.

Where I live, the wind is forty miles (64 kilometres) per hour on a regular basis. I don't know how fast your wind is, but unless it's anything comparable, I feel zero sympathy for you.

And Kansas also does the sudden freeze thing. I'm glad I don't like gardening, otherwise my life would be incredibly frustrating. :P

maximillion

The wind around here has been gusting 50/60/80+ lately.

Last night our forecast was for severe gales to storm force 11.

However, in all honesty I have to admit the sun is out at the moment.

CatholicsAreKewl

It makes sense, especially if your lenten sacrifice is especially difficult.  Even if we don't realize it, being kind, positive, and charitable can drain us over time. Giving things up during lent takes resources from that same pool.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Basilisa Marie

I have a theory that part of the reason why Phatmass gets crankier during Lent is that many of the less argumentative people give up internet things for Lent, so we're just left with a bunch of stronger personalities that gave up other things (like meat and coffee). At least that's what it felt like around here last year. 

I don't think I get crankier during Lent. I gave up coffee one year and I don't think I'll do that again. I've become even less capable of going without a full night's sleep since then. 

In the past, I have been compared to a tornado going through A field of land mines during Lent. I suppose it was just added stress of it as a child. these days I've noticed almost no difference during the Lenten season vs. year round.

I don't have much to "give up" anymore, so I just add things to make me grow spiritually. :I think that definitely helped.

In the past, I have been compared to a tornado going through A field of land mines during Lent.

Or as Uncle Louis would say, "a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant". 

But yeah, I think I'm going to be one of those to stop posting here.  Too many occasions of sin.