An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Anthropology

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Pax!
I was asked to lead a (not too intelectual) discussion with some people (it was ok to use Powerpoint). They are non-Catholic (as I am too but I at least try to become a Catholic). How do I introduce to Catholic Anthropology to them?

Wow... Talk about a broad topic.

Anthropology - the study of humankind, past and present, that draws and builds upon knowledge from social and biological sciences, as well as the humanities and the natural sciences. (Wikipedia)

Any chance of narrowing that down for us?

John Paul II has a nice introduction on the origins of anthropology by comparing the first and second chapters of Genesis in his theology of the body. Just Google Theology of the body, and you'll find his sermons hosted on EWTN.com. It's within the first 6 or 7 sermons, but you'll have to read them all. They're rather short.

I would start by going to the largest public library or university library nearby and getting a sense of the field, and then either looking at major Catholic works related to anthropology, or finding a specific topic of interest you can cover a least a few points of. 

The internet isn't a bad place to start getting a rough understanding of where anthropology and Catholicism intersect. It's rife with summaries. 

• 2 weeks later...