An Old School Catholic Message Board

Joining Brand New (diocesan Approved) Communities

lanpingpug

*I only mean communities that have diocesan approval, as per the rules*

Recently I've seen the website of a community that has only recently been officially approved by a diocese and established and is made up of just the foundress and one other sister. Obviously, founding a community is a huge step but I wanted to know if you thought it would be just as big a step for someone to join one of these communities, where they know they will be one of very few sisters.

Would you find it daunting to be called to one of these new communities or would you look at it another way? Also, does anyone have any good examples from recently approved and founded communities?

I know two sisters who belong to a new community that was founded out of a vocations group. They are an apostolic community with a carmelite influence open to being a mixed community of men and women. They run a prayer and retreat house for a diocese and engage in vocations work. I think they have four sisters now, two in final vows, and they are of diocesan right. One of the sisters was a nun in another order for a while so she did have experience of religious life before helping to lay the foundations for this one.
As an asid point,  men would also need to consider whether they are called to the priesthood or not. If they are then it maybe the case that a new community may not have the funds or time to allow them to pursue this. So they'd have to think about whether God would be calling them to such a community.

Edited by Benedictus