An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Do You Start?/scholars Knows Best

Oremoose

So I asked the Scholars a question seen here:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/133463-where-do-you-start/#entry2662641

So I have a friend,who was raised with no faith, that has shown some interest to know more about the Faith and I don't really know where to start. I don't want to geek out about my faith and scare her. At the same time I don't want to go to slow and not strike while the Iron is hot. 

And suggestions?

It was suggested I turn to the masses.

So what say you How do you start. Because alas I have no local Catholic Book stores to find books to refer to.

well i am not a big reader. so books are not exactly what i am lookin for. but what ever can help

Invite her to Mass with you. "The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life" and all. After Mass, go grab a cup of coffee and chat for a little bit, even if it's not immediately about anything pertaining to the faith or the Mass. Maybe introduce her to some other Catholic friends or take her to an event at your parish or in your diocese. "Theology on Tap" is always a cool thing to drag along non-practicing friends to. Let her 'get a little taste' of how awesome it is to be Catholic. Let her meet the people and the culture. 

Giving her a good book about the faith is a good idea too, but sometimes it's better to let the person have their own personal encounter before really throwing the heavy stuff at them. If she enjoys reading, my recommendation would be some CS Lewis, Peter Kreeft (Catholic Christianity is a good one) or even a Louis de Wohl novel. 

Hope things go well! 

Basilisa Marie

I've dealt with a situation like this before. What worked for us was letting her do a lot of leading when it came to topics, especially at first. It'll be SO EASY to overwhelm her, because there's a ton we take for granted as Christians that people without faith have no clue about. So letting her do the leading in that sense can help build parameters to the conversation. 

How much does she know about Christianity at all? Does she know some Bible stories? What kinds of Christians are in her life - researching what those ones believe (if they aren't Catholic) might help you give some context from where she may be coming from. Where are her beliefs right now - does she believe in God, is she an agnostic? Is she the kind of person who prefers logical arguments or powerful emotional experiences (most people are some combination, but this will help you figure out what sorts of materials she may respond best to)? Has she ever had an experience where she really felt the presence of God? Has she ever been to church before?

Taking her to mass is a great idea, but don't do it right away if she's not "ready" for it. She has to have some kind of context for it, otherwise it'll get super overwhelming and confusing (it'll be a little weird and confusing no matter what, but context will help minimize this). Start with basic "who do you think God is" type conversations.  Have a relatively short explanation of why YOU believe in God, Christ, and the Church at the ready. Figure out what exactly she's interested in. If she likes deep philosophical "meaning of life" conversations, go in that direction. If she's curious about the Bible, go in that direction.  Once you think she has enough tools to grasp a basic understanding of what's going on at mass, invite her! This might be tomorrow, or it might be a few weeks from now, it just depends on her background. Give her a short, basic explanation of what happens and follow along with her in the Order of Mass while the two of you are there. Go out for coffee or something afterwards to digest what happened.  Introduce her to your fellow Catholics, to show her that we can be super friendly awesome people. :) 

Ugh long-ish post is long-ish, but I hope this gives you some ideas to help you get started.

Well.. I would recommend seeing if she has any questions. Also, get her a rosary. Then a Catechism. Then Mass. I'll break it down.

I had tens of questions I always wanted to ask about Catholicism, and had a nice Catholic family sit down over tea and explain it all to me. That helped immensely.

The rosary was also very important, because let's faith it.. part of my interest in Catholicism at first were the funny sacramentals, beautiful art, and all the things that made them abnormal from other people. The rosary was something distinctly Catholic. I could keep it in my pocket to remind myself of my journey and even pray it if I felt adventurous. 

The catechism was a huge help, because from then on I could look up my own answers, and had something purely Catholic to study on my own time.

And even then, my first time at Mass was overwhelming. Everyone praying in unison creeped me out. But it was also beautiful. Now I lament missing daily Mass.

Well.. I would recommend seeing if she has any questions. Also, get her a rosary. Then a Catechism. Then Mass.

Would you suggest Catechism or a You Cact, Or Both? 

I would think a youCat would be nice since it put everything into a question form?

Ugh long-ish post is long-ish, but I hope this gives you some ideas to help you get started.

Long yes but very helpful and encouraging thanks. But Mass is going to have to wait she is still on the fence of it all and I am praying hard she really want to commit. And she said she went to her cousins church(non-catholic) when she was small and was overwhelmed by it thus she hasn't really sought it out since.

Sorry.  I misread this as you were looking for books. 

Is all good I didn't really make it clear anyways so you were fine.

TheresaThoma

The youCat is great.

If she isn't open to attending Mass quite yet invite her to other Church related activities. There are tons of them available right now because of Lent. Maybe see what your local youth/young adult group is doing. That way she can meet some other young Catholics in more of a fun relaxed setting. 

Would you suggest Catechism or a You Cact, Or Both? 

I would think a youCat would be nice since it put everything into a question form?

I had to google what that was lol, not a cradle Catholic. Sorry I forgot--I did start with a compendium that was pretty much the same, but very quickly ventured out to buy the CCC. It sounds like the YouCat would be a good place to start. 

Oh, I have yet to meet a non-Catholic who didn't think making the sign of the cross was cool. So you know.. throwing that in couldn't hurt lol.  :pope2:

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

A few of my own thoughts.

I would suggest the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults over the YouCat or the CCC. First the U.S. Bishops have put together a great Catechism that few people have seem to read. It is a great approachable style that gives information that is more in depth than the YouCat (IMHO) but not the theological and preistly language used in the CCC. (If you are unable to find one send me a PM I've got a couple extras currently I'll send you one).

There are a couple ways to start, and there have been some great suggestions already. First if your friend has questions then start with those. If they don't and starting the discussion is up to you I would suggest first either following the form of the Creed and taking one small chunk at a time (This is how both the CCC and the USCCA are both basically set up). The alternative way to start that I have seen work is to take a general timeline through the Bible. In Genesis we learn WHY God created us and our Fall, then we go on a journey of revelation and redemption through what many people call Salvation History, or Salvation Theology.

There are a number of ways to start sharing your faith, but don't forget to pray for them and let the Holy Spirit work through you. You are the too let the master craftsman wield you.

how old is your friend?

does (s)he like to read?

Do you have a rosary?

Are you praying daily for him/her?

Are you praying daily for him/her with your rosary?

Would (s)he be offended at breastfeeding during mass?

Well thank you all for your advise turns out she wanted a more deeper friendship than I thought. and really has no interest at all. So yea.