An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ugh

Fidei Defensor

maximillion

Are you stuck over decision making or overwhelmed by something?

Practice mindfulness....observe how you are feeling without judgement or trying to change it. (I find this hard)

Distract yourself......a movie, a walk, a shower?

Comfort yourself like you would a child or your best friend. Cuddle up to someone, a pet or a pillow.

Alternatively, go into the woods and scream blue murder........

All of the above!

Seriously, feeling crappy is horrid and I identify. My prayers for you and my encouragement. It does pass, you won't be stuck forever.

HisChildForever

Little things cheer me up...purchasing new work clothes, putting new music on my mp3 (I only really listen in the car on the way to work), trying out a new shampoo scent (lol), reading, watching a favorite movie, a long hot shower.

Fidei Defensor

I think part of it is that I feel so alone in the universe and I want so much for there to be a God. I just don't know if I'm ready to take the leap, yet.

Basilisa Marie

Well, I sort of do what you're doing now.  I reach out to someone, even if it's to send a stupid text about a stupid show that I like. It helps me feel connected in different way than with just the internet, but even talking to other people online is better for me than nothing. Sometimes I find that putting on the radio or a podcast can help distract me from intrusive thoughts. Then I pop a B vitamin tablet. 

Basilisa Marie

I think part of it is that I feel so alone in the universe and I want so much for there to be a God. I just don't know if I'm ready to take the leap, yet.

What's in your way? Is it more logical, or personal?

Fidei Defensor

What's in your way? Is it more logical, or personal?

Logical, though not really. My mind keeps saying "what about science," even though I know science and faith can go hand in hand. But its nagging at my mind anyway.

Anastasia13

I listen to music when I feel down. Somewhere, there is usually someone who can put my feelings into words, even when I don't feel like it.

Humans are really good for really ugh moments.

It's good to get out so that one can get out of one's self.

Laughter almost always does a person good.

Francis Collins is a physician and currently the Director of the National Institute of Health.  He has written some interesting books on faith and science that might help you.  Perhaps you just need "permission" to listen to your inner self and take the leap.  I think God is talking to you.

I will ask my dear friend Brother Charles of Jesus (Blessed Charles de Foucauld) to pray for you. He was an agnostic and struggled with a very great loneliness and sense of unease about where his life was going. He used to pray, "My God, if you exist, make yourself known to me."

He was gifted with an incredible yet very simple faith, rooted so deeply in love and trust - he went from being a wealthy ex-soldier to a poor monk, and then a solitary in the Sahara desert, but not a hermit. His house was always open to people, and they came from miles around. They called it the fraternity. He believed in meeting people wherever they were, no matter what their beliefs. He was a very humble kind man and I am sure his prayers will help you.

You might also find benefit in a book by Dorothy Day, The Long Loneliness.

I feel just awful today, in every way possible.

How do you get yourself out of a rut? 

I usually drink.  

#sad

Golden Years

Sometimes just letting go and waiting for a few days or weeks can shift my perspective.  Things always change if given enough time.