An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eastern Catholics (plus Selah) In Here Please

AugustineA

Fascinating (I say that sincerely not tongue in cheek). Thanks, I'm going to order this on Thursday (my unjustifiable spending day) before I go to the Byzantine Catholic church.

I was supposed to go on Sunday but slept in. erg

FYI - The byzantine Church (at least in the US) standardized some of their tones for singing about 10 years ago.  I wasn't a fan of the change.  I found the Ukranian liturgical tones to have been prettier before and much prettier now after the Byzantine rite's changes.  however, your odds of hearing english and joining a post-liturgy conversation are much better at a byzantine curch.

FYI - The byzantine Church (at least in the US) standardized some of their tones for singing about 10 years ago.  I wasn't a fan of the change.  I found the Ukranian liturgical tones to have been prettier before and much prettier now after the Byzantine rite's changes.  however, your odds of hearing english and joining a post-liturgy conversation are much better at a byzantine curch.

Unfortunately, my ear is so untrained I doubt I would be able to tell the difference. It comes with experience I suppose. :)

Anastasia13

You should listen to a few clips of each of the rites. They sound very different. I have heard Orthodox (and Armenian Orthodox and Catholic are almost identical barring a tiny few details) things by Greeks, Russians, Antiochians, Coptics, Syriacs, and Indians. They all sound different.

I will actually. After I send these extra applications out. <.<

I read a comment on a video of Armenian orthodox chant saying that it sounded exactly like Greek, but Greeks don't sound like Catholics haha.. I'm guessing it also varies based on the chant and people. 

I wonder what Eastern Orthodox Christians think of the TLM.. hmm

I wonder what Eastern Orthodox Christians think of the Traditional Latin Mass.. hmm

Some like it, some don't. Depends on who you ask xD

I wonder what Eastern Orthodox Christians think of the Traditional Latin Mass.. hmm

The vast majority of people I know respect it as a legitimate rite. In fact, all the people I know. We get anything from outraged to bemused to 'told you so' about the more recent changes to it, but I've not met anyone who thinks it's not worth the time of day.

On a more personal level, there is a lot in it that we recognise as being of common origin with our Liturgy - it just looks a bit funny. Synchronising all movements, turning at right angles, all that.

When I went to a TLM, I was struck by how priest-focused and/or lonely it looked. It really did seem to be these one or two guys way up there and we had to be quiet and watch. I could see why people wanted to bring altars closer to the people, and make it more 'involved'.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess who went to an Eastern liturgy today... ;)

Met a bunch of friendly Ukrainians, backwards crossed myself like 100 times. Joined in a big procession. You know what struck me the most was the disorderly order.

That guy doesn't have candles, quick get the candles!

Hey we need someone to carry this thing for the procession, grab some random pew sitter!

Are we standing and praying or going back to our seats, who cares! just kiss this thing!

I really enjoyed myself. I'm going to attend the easter vigil TLM and go back to the Divine Liturgy on Sunday. Ukrainians are cool. The old ladies sit around talking like in the movies. The moms and dads are all very sweet. There were a lot of young adults. The guys looked tough and the girls.. Well.. Not so tough haha. :)

And a nice kid, turned out to be an altar boy, insisted on giving me a small tour of the church lol.

Oh and the chant was inspiring but markedly different from the Latin. Oh and the um.. wall (sry not sure of the term) was adorned with the most beautiful icons.

The vast majority of people I know respect it as a legitimate rite. In fact, all the people I know. We get anything from outraged to bemused to 'told you so' about the more recent changes to it, but I've not met anyone who thinks it's not worth the time of day.

On a more personal level, there is a lot in it that we recognise as being of common origin with our Liturgy - it just looks a bit funny. Synchronising all movements, turning at right angles, all that.

When I went to a Traditional Latin Mass, I was struck by how priest-focused and/or lonely it looked. It really did seem to be these one or two guys way up there and we had to be quiet and watch. I could see why people wanted to bring altars closer to the people, and make it more 'involved'.

I do see where you are coming from now. In comparison, Latin Christians and priests certainly come off as more uptight. We have everything measured and written down.

The priest tonight had no problem sticking his head out and telling everyone to sit down when they had to haha. I'm not sure how to put the difference in words though..

Oh and the chant was inspiring but markedly different from the Latin. Oh and the um.. wall (sry not sure of the term) was adorned with the most beautiful icons.

The wall is an iconostas.  The chant is more sing-songy.   I don't remember things being disorganized, but since 80% of the time you're just responding "Hospodi Pomiluj" (Lord Have Mercy) it makes improvisation easy.

TheresaThoma

I hung out with some Byzantine nuns on Good Friday. It was so beautiful! We started out the day with Matins and the 12 gospels. That alone was 2 hours and 15 minutes in the chapel. I think over the whole day I heard different parts of the passion story 16 times. 

The really funny part was at the Easter Vigil I kept on switching back and forth between the different ways of crossing myself. And I had to remember not to cross myself at certain times too.

I really want to learn more about the Byzantine Rite now. For me it felt like going over to a family member's house, there is a lot of common ground but things are done just a  bit differently. 

The sisters were so sweet and told me that I should come back again which I totally want to. It probably won't be till mid next month though.

I do see where you are coming from now. In comparison, Latin Christians and priests certainly come off as more uptight. We have everything measured and written down.

The priest tonight had no problem sticking his head out and telling everyone to sit down when they had to haha. I'm not sure how to put the difference in words though..

I agree... there are concrete differences, but more than that, there's also just a certain je ne sais quoi that distinguishes us - call it attitude, atmosphere, I don't know...