An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditional Priestly Vocation--aging Out?

bardegaulois

Barde,

Hey, I didn't recognize you at first when you started your thread a few weeks ago, but when I saw your next two threads I remembered you from last year.   Are you still teaching? Do you get summers off?  If so, my recommendation would be to spend a full month or two with one of these orders over the break.  It would be a good risk free way for you to discern. 

Given your age it's important for you to be careful.  It's tempting to be overzealous and throw caution to the wind, but prudence is a virtue.  Given your melancholy state, your previous desire for marriage, and the general uncertainty you had/have, I'd say caution might be the prudent.  Going on a long retreat / extended stay with an order might be a risk-free way for you to discern, with the added benefit of spiritual growth.

Just something to consider,

ND

Here's an interesting site I came across that puts serious minded faithful Catholic in touch with eachother:

https://www.newoxfordreview.org/

What other seminaries or groups besides ICK, Domincans and FSSP are mature, serious and faithful?  (bonus points if they also allow and learn the Latin Mass). 

E

Greetings, and thanks for reading.

This evening, I received a very disappointing letter from the ICKSP, thanking me for my inquiry regarding beginning priestly formation with them, but informing me that they do not accept applicants for the priesthood over the age of 30 (I am 34). However, they did ask me if I might consider becoming a "clerical oblate" with them. I'll write them and ask for more information, as I'm not quite sure what this is; I'm presuming that it's something like a coadjutor brother. As this is a society of secular priests, I'm not even sure if their oblates are vowed or not. When I find out, I'll go over it with my spiritual director.

My interest in the priesthood was strongly renewed toward the end of last year. There were a number of factors for this, but I'll leave it with the statement that it became evident to me that I make a rather terrible secular layman. I've gone through the motions for many years, but my heart has never quite been in it. It feels, for lack of a better term, mercenary, even somewhat cheap. I did take part a little in "discernment culture" in my 20s, but just found myself frustrated by it quite a bit. It wasn't until I found a real spiritual home, so to speak, in a parish that celebrates the Traditional Latin Mass that my frustration with the Church abated. Now, the attitude and ethos that a reverent liturgy inculcates has become necessary for me, and in my research into societies and orders the nature of the liturgy they celebrate is a decisive factor. My first letter was to the ICKSP, as everything I've seen and read of them really aroused my interest; we seemed, for lack of a better term, like kindred spirits.

As I said, I'll ask for more information regarding this "clerical oblate" status, but my initial reaction is not one of enthusiasm. It seems, of course, better than my present condition, I must admit, but I don't quite feel a draw yet. That might change with more knowledge or perhaps with a visit to this society. Still, there's a little doubt that I can't quite get out of my mind: living a life like that in the presence of priests, knowing that I could not become one, might not be good for me. I'm a melancholy type who takes what he perceives as past failures very hard. Anything that reminds me of these, well, hurts, and it hurts a lot and for a long time. So do I really want to put myself in this position where my failure is always before me? It could be an opportunity for a lot of penance, a great nearness to the Cross in offering the "holocaust" to God that Aquinas spoke about in the Summa. But, I also know myself, and question whether my past problems with a sense of inferiority and despair wouldn't resurface and create an easy foothold for the devil in such a situation. It looks like it could be a matter of extremes here, and so on this issue more than any other, I'll really need to help of my spiritual director.

Moreover, if the priesthood isn't possible, I'm much more drawn to the life of a contemplative monk than that of an active brother. I am fortunate to know of a Benedictine establishment not too distant from me where the liturgy is beautiful--Novus Ordo and particular Breviary in Latin with Gregorian chant. Indeed, I plan on retreating there for about a week after the end of the semestre (I am a tutor at a college) and hope to speak to them about a possible vocation.

I feel however, particularly drawn to the priesthood, and particularly in a traditional order or society. I want to provide publicly what was denied me in my youth, for the salvation of many souls and the greater glory of God. If that's not possible, then I wish to go to the cloister, place myself under obedience, leave a world that loses more of its lustre year after year, and embrace the state of perfection.

I know the FSSP is still there, and is perhaps the most popular of the traditional groups, but having heard some of their Masses while travelling, I don't quite feel any sort of draw to them. It's difficult for me really to categorize; perhaps it can best be said that while I respect the fraternity, I don't quite see our personalities matching. Knowing that they send their men out to their parishes alone, rather than in small teams, also doesn't really sit well with me. A mixed contemplative-active order, like the Dominicans, could seem appealing, particularly to my scholarly side, but they are mostly an institute of priests, and I think I might have aged out of candidacy for the priesthood in the province wherein I live. If I chose to enter as a brother, I could foresee the same issues developing there as in the ICKSP.

So, the big questions I would have then are: Are there any institutes or societies of priests who celebrate the traditional Latin Mass, who live, preferably, in a community of some sort, and that will accept men of my age for formation? And generally, do you have any comments on anything I said here?

Thanks very kindly.

I strongly suggest you try looking at the FSSP again. firstly, most of their parishes have two priests as their charism is FRATERNITY.

secondly even through they have age 30 as a cut off, almost all the FSSP priests I know actually entererd seminary in Europe OR the USA over age 30. (in their 30s).

the charism is different though. FSSP - think Summa Theologiae. ICKSP - think of a grandly vested man in gold linen playing the organ while many choirs sing fine music for many hours and many young boys kneel while holding steaming bowls of incense.

the charism is different though. FSSP - think Summa Theologiae. ICKSP - think of a grandly vested man in gold linen playing the organ while many choirs sing fine music for many hours and many young boys kneel while holding steaming bowls of incense.

Rofl.. dramatic but true.