An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Melleray News

PrayerSupporter

PrayerSupporter

For any men who may be considering religious life as a Cistercian, New Melleray Abbey in Iowa may be a place to consider.  They recently posted some news on their web site, part of which was the following:

March 24, 2014: New Melleray Abbey welcomes a new observer into the community: Cody Perk, 23, from Utica, South Dakota.

March 30, 2014: Brother Nicholas Koenig made solemn profession and monastic consecration in the Abbey of Our Lady of New Melleray.

http://www.newmelleray.org/newsindex.asp

For a number of years, they posted very occasional news. Then they posted no news for 8 or 10 months.

But suddently they're posting news very frequently.

Which is good.

PhuturePriest

It's a very wonderful monastery! It's great to hear they're having more vocations than they've been having.

I think they've been getting vocations pretty steadily.   What I think the change has been is that they got a new abbot a few months back... and it always is a period of transition.... updating a website probably is low on the priorities!!!!

They have a fantastic set of videos on their website - especially the 'One Thing' video!

http://www.newmelleray.org/videos.asp

TheresaThoma

It does look like they have had a pretty steady stream of vocations if you look at the Meet the Brothers page. Its great they are posting more news now!

I think they've been getting vocations pretty steadily.   What I think the change has been is that they got a new abbot a few months back... and it always is a period of transition.... updating a website probably is low on the priorities!!!!

They have a fantastic set of videos on their website - especially the 'One Thing' video!

http://www.newmelleray.org/videos.asp

I was just going to give them a cursory glance, but got stuck watching all the videos with the brothers talking! Each one is so different. I like their sincerity.

PrayerSupporter

As an aside, if anyone is in the area of New Melleray and wants to go on a good retreat, they offer a few.  I have been on two and have booked my third one for this fall.  Their retreats offer one an opportunity to pray their seven hours each day, attend Mass of course, have instructional sessions each day, and observe silence throughout the retreat.  The retreatant's rooms are comfortable and the grounds are very nice.  Most importantly, the teachings and prayer times are great.

• 11 months later...

they havent posted since February 2o15

​They probably stop posting for Lent. A lot of monasteries do that.