4LoveofJMJ Posted April 15, 2014 Posted April 15, 2014 Last night I rescued a 4 day old baby mouse that was abandoned underneath our stove. I have read articles online about how to take care of one and would like to know if anyone has ever hand raised a baby mouse and any tips on what I should do. I know that the survival rate is not good but I want to try and save it.
4LoveofJMJ Posted April 15, 2014 Author Posted April 15, 2014 Oh, one of the main problems that I have in not being able to feed it. I have puppy formula but it won't take any. It is willing to take water but not for long. Plus water doesn't have as much nutrients as it needs. The formula has skim milk in it which might be a problem because cow's milk is bad for mice. But it is all that I could get at the moment. I'm deluding with a lot of water but I still have the feeding problem.
Anastasia13 Posted April 15, 2014 Posted April 15, 2014 No experience, but I found this website: http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/orphanedmice.cfm "You will need kitten formula (KMR is recommended). This comes in powder as well as pre-mixed. I prefer powder because it lasts longer. *Unless your formula goes by weight, make sure you dilute it twice the recommended amount.* KMR is designed for kittens (obviously). Pinkies are so much smaller that they can't swallow the KMR unless its diluted more than recommended. You will also need a syringe (no needle) for hand feeding." Also this: http://www.ratfanclub.org/orphans.html The Formula If necessary, until you buy the correct formula, for the first day you can give the baby dilute sugar water, made with 1 cup hot water ¾ teaspoon sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Discard this solution after 8 hours because it can quickly grow bacteria. I recommend using human soy infant formula. The nutritional requirements for rats are closer to that of humans than dogs or cats, and if you look at the information on the components of rat milk at the bottom of the page, you’ll see that the percentage of protein and fat in the human formula most closely matches that of rat milk. Be sure to buy the powdered formula, and the soy formula, not the milk-based formula. Note: The Esbilac Small Animal Goat’s Milk formula is formulated just like puppy Esbilac and is much higher in protein and fat, so I do not recommend it. Rat Milk Components Range Throughout Lactation (%) Day Lactose Fat Protein 0 2 - 2.6 20 - 28.6 7 - 8.6 5 2.4 - 3 5.5 - 15 6.5 - 7.4 10 3 - 3.7 7 - 18 8 - 8.6 15 4 - 4.5 9 - 19 8.3 - 10 20 3.5 - 4.7 8 - 14 8 - 10 Rat Milk Summary Protein range: 6.5 to 10% Fat range: 7 to 28.6% Comparison with commercial formulas: Human Soy Baby Formula—best match Protein 12% Fat 25% Esbilac (for puppies)—too high in protein and fat Protein 33% Fat 40% Good info on hygiene and heating at least on the second link. Didn't read as much of the first. Make 'em "go" after each meal.
4LoveofJMJ Posted April 16, 2014 Author Posted April 16, 2014 If necessary, until you buy the correct formula, for the first day you can give the baby dilute sugar water, made with 1 cup hot water ¾ teaspoon sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Discard this solution after 8 hours because it can quickly grow bacteria. Huh did not see that link. Thanks for the tip! It was feeding time when I saw it so I made a batch and he/she actually ate some. :) Well I think. The brush looked like it was in his/her mouth anyway. Plus he/she did not struggle as much when when I fed him/her as in the other times. I really hope this works!
KnightofChrist Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 Go to a pet store(s) and tell them your story.
4LoveofJMJ Posted April 16, 2014 Author Posted April 16, 2014 Thanks for the advice everyone! But the mouse didn't make it. :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't know why. He was squeaking and moving around a lot last night so I don't know what went wrong. I wasn't even with him when he died. My mom was feeding him because I wanted to sleep for a few more minutes. I thought I was prepared for the chance that he wouldn't make it because the survival rate was so low. I just did not think it would hurt this much. :cry: I only had him for a few days but with all of the feedings and time spent with him, i became very bonded and actually started to think that he would live through it. I could tell that he was bonded with me too by the way he would crawl off of the tissue covered rice pack that I was using to keep him warm and onto my hand. :( He was so cute and so tiny. It just makes me want to cry again. :cry: I hope he enjoys it in mouse heaven because I would loved to have him down here with me. :cry4: Thanks again!
SilentJoy Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 I just did not think it would hurt this much. :cry: I only had him for a few days but with all of the feedings and time spent with him, i became very bonded and actually started to think that he would live through it. I could tell that he was bonded with me too by the way he would crawl off of the tissue covered rice pack that I was using to keep him warm and onto my hand. :( Its heartbreaking to lose a friend, even if its a baby mouse. You have a lot of compassion for animals and for some reason I'm delighted that you let this one into your heart even though you "knew better."
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 (edited) if all else fails try cows milk anyway, i think the whole don't give cows milk to animals is a crock of doggy doo to some degree, i have always given my cats cows milk, not all the time but sometimes and they have been fine. Perhaps it may give it diarrhoea but at least if it won't have anything else it is getting some nutrients right ? And of course it's not a child that you have to protect from diabetes or at least try and teach that some foods are better than others nutritionaly , try anything and everything, cheese, crackers, lollies, whatever, it may actually lick a lolly that you have already sucked a little to get a bit of moisture on it if you wan't to do the mother mouse thing, or not and just put the lolly under a little cold water and rub it a little. My point is mice can eat just about anything as far as i'm aware, same as dogs. Edited April 16, 2014 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Selah Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 (edited) Thanks for the advice everyone! But the mouse didn't make it. :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't know why. He was squeaking and moving around a lot last night so I don't know what went wrong. I wasn't even with him when he died. My mom was feeding him because I wanted to sleep for a few more minutes. I thought I was prepared for the chance that he wouldn't make it because the survival rate was so low. I just did not think it would hurt this much. :cry: I only had him for a few days but with all of the feedings and time spent with him, i became very bonded and actually started to think that he would live through it. I could tell that he was bonded with me too by the way he would crawl off of the tissue covered rice pack that I was using to keep him warm and onto my hand. :( He was so cute and so tiny. It just makes me want to cry again. :cry: I hope he enjoys it in mouse heaven because I would loved to have him down here with me. :cry4: Thanks again! *hugs* God loves all his creation. His (the mouse's) poor little heart may have given out from being startled, or some other such thing. Edited April 16, 2014 by Selah
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 :) i found a baby king parrot at the local shops once and it couldn't fly, i left it at a neighbours house in the cage with his pet budgie bird, it didn't make it through the night. Budgies are only tiny birds about a 20th of the size of the king parrot baby so it wasn't the budgies fault though me and my neighbour joked about how greenie his budgie was a martial arts expert because it used to kick it's spinning mirrors around. Actually it wasn't a king parrot baby it had it's feathers but the colour in them wasn't bright yet so i guess it was a juvenile but it couldn't fly yet either. I actually found the bird the afternoon after someone recommended on here that anyone who want's to should ask the holy mother for a rose, so i offered up a rose for myself in the intentions of the rosary. King Parrots have rose coloured chests. All glory to GOD.
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 (edited) By the way as far as i'm aware the cows milk didn't give my cats diarrhoea, and yes i clean the litter trays. Cool story though JMJ, keep trying to save the orphaned and injured wild life too when GOD presents the opportunity, without obsessing about it though, there are human orphans that need saving also. St Francis of Assisi pray for us. Edited April 16, 2014 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
KnightofChrist Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 Sorry to hear about your baby mouse. God bless.
Vitamin Posted April 16, 2014 Posted April 16, 2014 Last night I rescued a 4 day old baby mouse that was abandoned underneath our stove. I have read articles online about how to take care of one and would like to know if anyone has ever hand raised a baby mouse and any tips on what I should do. I know that the survival rate is not good but I want to try and save it. I found a pic of your mouse on your FB page, and thought we'd all coo in the adorableness of it here. Awwwwwww.
Tasha201 Posted April 14, 2020 Posted April 14, 2020 Hi I have also recently rescued a baby mouse I'm guessing it was about 4/5 days old I have had him her now for 7 days, I am feeding him as informed from websites and YouTube videos, however he/she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight, hos/her stomach gets bigger after every feed however that's all it seems to do, so it doesn't look like it is gaining any weight else were. Any suggestions would be good, I live in the UK, and came her for advise as there isn't meny other places like this I could ask for help. Many thanks.
Not A Mallard Posted April 15, 2020 Posted April 15, 2020 "Impeach abortion" was right under this thread, and for a second I read it as, "Impeached Baby Mouse"
little2add Posted April 16, 2020 Posted April 16, 2020 (edited) On 4/14/2020 at 1:08 AM, Tasha201 said: Any suggestions w You do know the cause of the Bubonic Plague, don’t you? Just saying Edited April 16, 2020 by little2add
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now