An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Discernment - Some Wise Words

Mary's Margaret

Mary's Margaret

The following is taken from today's blog entry on Fr. Robt. Barron's site, Word on Fire.

The complete entry, written by Dr. Thomas Neil can be found here:  http://www.wordonfire.org/WoF-Blog/WoF-Blog/April-2014/The-Vocation-to-Furious-Love.aspx  

Speaking of a meeting with a "wise and exceedingly kind Trappist monk" he writes:

I remember distinctly saying to him at the end of my personal history, “Okay, so my real question is, should I become a priest, a deacon, a monk, or should I marry?” 

And I’ll never ever forget his bizarre and deadly serious answer to my very clear question: “Yes.” 

After a long, monastic-style pause that my kids would call “awkward,” he said this (cobbled together from my journal notes): 

"Tom, you should be any one of those if you find in it the best way for you to love God above all things and your neighbor as yourself. That’s the whole point of you’re decision. Your discernment of God’s calling isn’t like an Easter egg hunt, where you’re searching for some secretly hidden answer located outside you, but rather it’s the discovery of what God has already planted within you, into your unique history of pain and joy, into your personality. 

And don’t look for the ‘easy way’ since the love God demands will always be sacrificial. It will always be more about others than about you, since vocation isn’t first of all about your personal fulfillment but about serving God and serving neighbor. 

First, you have to live your faith out now and get some history to it—it’s so new for you! And as you continue on, look around at the needs out there that present themselves, look within your soul and come to know what gifts you have to offer; listen to your heart’s movements as you pray and share these all with a trusted guide. 

Once you do come clear where you are being led, then, as best you can, freely say yes. Then you will start pushing the plow without looking back. But remember, you have a long way to go; you must work hard on getting your life in order now, a life put together in the light of faith; and you need to practice this in the real world for a few years before you can think of discerning a life’s vocation. Build the foundations first before you try to build the castle."

I thought some here might find this interesting/helpful.
God bless you all in your discernment.