An Old School Catholic Message Board

Utah Trappists Seem To Be Phasing Out

Luigi

From the web site of Genesee Abbey in New York, this news:

ABBEY NEWS
May 25, 2014

This past week we received Br. David Baumbach into the community. He is originally from Holy Trinity Abbey in Utah which is in the process of closing due to lack of vocations. In such an event the members of the community can join their motherhouse, Gethsemani in this instance, or choose another community. All though saddened by the need to close the community we are happy he chose to join us. After a trial period he will make his stability to our community.  

This might provide some insight; I think Huntsville is an elderly and somewhat physically challenged community, and at some point, if new vocations do not appear, for the sake of the current vocations AND any new candiates, they really have to make arrangements to close.  

On the other hand..... 20 years ago that was the situation for the New Melleray Trappists ("Trappist Caskets"), and now they are attracting LOTS of new vocations.

It's interesting to me that they have appointed Fr. Brendan Freeman, OCSO, as the acting superior of the Utah community.  He was sent from New Melleray to examine what if anything could be done to revitalize the Utah community, and he was the abbot of New Melleray until a few months ago, and he led them back to viabililty.  If the decision has been made that the Utah community must close, he will have the skills to close the community well, finding good places for the elderly monks. It's the right choice if there really isn't a way to make the community viable; if there is any way to bring them back, I'm confident Fr. Brendan would do it.

I've followed the New Melleray monks for over ten years, so I know if anyone could bring them back, he would do it.  If they really feel it is the best thing for the new vocation to go to Gethsemane, that says a lot about what the decision is.

Here's some info about Father Brendan....

http://www.holytrinityabbey.org/superior.html

Let's keep praying for them!

Edited by AnneLine

This might provide some insight; I think Huntsville is an elderly and somewhat physically challenged community, and at some point, if new vocations do not appear, for the sake of the current vocations AND any new candiates, they really have to make arrangements to close.

On the other hand..... 20 years ago that was the situation for the New Melleray Trappists ("Trappist Caskets"), and now they are attracting LOTS of new vocations.

It's interesting to me that they have appointed Fr. Brendan Freeman, OCSO, as the acting superior of the Utah community. He was sent from New Melleray to examine what if anything could be done to revitalize the Utah community, and he was the abbot of New Melleray until a few months ago, and he led them back to viabililty. If the decision has been made that the Utah community must close, he will have the skills to close the community well, finding good places for the elderly monks. It's the right choice if there really isn't a way to make the community viable; if there is any way to bring them back, I'm confident Fr. Brendan would do it.

I've followed the New Melleray monks for over ten years, so I know if anyone could bring them back, he would do it. If they really feel it is the best thing for the new vocation to go to Gethsemane, that says a lot about what the decision is.

Here's some info about Father Brendan....

http://www.holytrinityabbey.org/superior.html

Let's keep praying for them!

Oh, that's him? I remember being impressed by the little video with him talking, here http://www.newmelleray.org/videos.asp

reminiscere

This Abbey, by decision of the Order's General Chapter if I remember correctly is no longer (for a few years) able to accept new vocations, and I believe they are no longer also accepting men for their volunteer/live-in program. 

Ah, OK, thank you Reminiscere, that makes sense.   So Fr. Brendan's job really is making sure that the monastery closes in a healthy way.  None of us likes to see a community come to the end of its life, but none of us is eternal, save God.   And we know we ultimately have our dwelling place with Him.  

So certainly we can pray for the monks past and present, and that God's will be done in all things....